Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? in

[ QUOTE ]
Good point about not calling the police on your friend. If you do that one time, your friend is finished with you. And most junkies don't trust others as it is.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure maintaining your friendship should be priority number one, if you are a true friend.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone ever been present at an intervention?

[/ QUOTE ]

i almost saw one on seinfeld, but they don't show you that part of the plot on screen.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone ever been present at an intervention?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I am the one who facilitated it. I second the recommendation, as quoted below. The intervention will most likely only be successful if you have a treatment center already lined up and ready to take her in that same day. The treatment center usually can provide you with someone who will do the intervention with family/friends as part of the treatment cost.

If you're interested, I can share my story of how it went with the one I facilitated.

[ QUOTE ]
Your friend sounds like she's in bad, bad shape. I don't think that kind of person just wakes up one day and decides to stop, or generally has the willpower to go cold turkey after an intervention. When getting clean means staying sober for two or three days, and the way she celebrates is to go off on another bender, then the only way you can even hope to turn it around is to be forced sober for an extended period. It sounds to me like you need to convince her to go into rehab and dry out for a couple weeks (at least) somewhere. I know that costs money, but I don't see another solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above words are VERY VERY true.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:39 AM

SIIHP
Old 12-12-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SIIHP

[/ QUOTE ]

go to hell.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? info?

that's good that you're not calling the cops. not because of trust issues but because the justice system does not rehabilitate offenders. putting people in jail for carrying coke or crack doesnt cure people of addiction. it never has and it never will.

as people mentioned before and what it sounds like youre saying also, you cant will your friend to stop doing drugs. express to your friend how concerned you are. give your friend your support. tell her specifically what she has done to damage her life and to damage yours from her addiction. and getting other close friends involved can also be helpful too.

after that be available. good luck.

bwana
Old 12-12-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? info?

Radiate a very clear message both in words and in actions.

If she is on a lot of drugs, don't hesitate to make decisions for her (like you did). It may very likely anger her, but you shouldnt take any part of that anger personal.

Obviously she will have to come out of it herself. You can be support to help her stabilize. To be that support, you must be confident and very clear. Be very rational when she is high, be sensisitive when she is sober.

How did your friends help you? The same approach may not work, since you are both different characters, but think about the mindset they had, and how you view them and what they did now, compared to how you viewed them and their actions when they started pulling you out.

gl

Marnix
Old 12-12-2005, 12:40 PM

Intervention. Call Dr. Phil (I am absolutely serious about this).
Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 PM

I feel for you. You want to be a friend, but the other party is making it damn near impossible for you to be a friend. Until your friend realizes she needs help there is little you can do.

AA and similar programs are what she needs. You will not be able to stop her on your own, she has to want to stop before you will be able to make a real difference. Did she assigned a sponsor in AA. If so, find her sponsor and try to get the sponsor to help you.

As is stands now, it sounds like you will be able to win a few battles, but the war will rage on until she decides it needs to stop. I wish I could give you the magic bullet to solve this, but there isn't one. Just be the best friend you know how to be, it sounds like she will need one soon. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 PM

OP,
I think you need to go to AA, or Al-anon, and seek help from them. I would assume that they are the best ones to help you help her.
Hoping everything turns out well,
Guids