Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Re: What hands are you willing to re-raise with preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'll do fine never ever raising PF against unknowns. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean reraising?

Anyway care to explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I meant reraising. And there's not much to explain. In general, you don't really need to reraise PF, because you're usually going to make back that equity by having a well concealed hand.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'll do fine never ever raising PF against unknowns. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean reraising?

Anyway care to explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I meant reraising. And there's not much to explain. In general, you don't really need to reraise PF, because you're usually going to make back that equity by having a well concealed hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, i guess you will be reraising when there are several players in the pot right? Playing AA out of position vs 3 players does not seem fun. So i guess you are talking about just calling vs one opponent here..

So following senario: Raise from CO, you call out of the BB with AA. Flop:
K74.

Since your hand is concealed aren't you more likely to loose all of your stack(or a lot of your money) when your opponent hits his set? Or do you mean that you get more back the times when your opponent overplays his weaker hands like AK?

Or another example:
You hold KK in BB, raised from CO, you call. Flop:

Axx.

How good do you feel your hand is here vs an unkonwn opponent?

I would think that it was more important to raise vs unkowns since you don't know what their action on later streets means. Is this wrong?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, you don't really need to reraise PF, because you're usually going to make back that equity by having a well concealed hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that I have recently really come to appreciate. Obviously there are always exceptions but Ive found myself reraising less recently. It is really effective playing shorthanded.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 AM

If the situation comes up where I decide a re-raise is in order. Its usually AA,KK,QQ or AKs. I guess simply put, If I had record of all my re-raises. 95% would be those hands. (Warning: Wild ass guess)

There'ssituations, based on:
Opponents style and playing ability
Positions
Stack Sizes
Images

That make re-raising other hands a good idea, and make re-raising with the above hands a bad idea.
But if your just starting out, you wont get into too much trouble re-raising with those 4.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In general, you don't really need to reraise PF, because you're usually going to make back that equity by having a well concealed hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that I have recently really come to appreciate. Obviously there are always exceptions but Ive found myself reraising less recently. It is really effective playing shorthanded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could take the other route, and regularily reraise with sub-premium hands. I do this quite a bit, and it seems to be more effective than "slowplaying" big hands preflop.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:33 AM

If I think I'm ahead of the raisers raising-hand range then I usually reraise in position, although this is usually QQ+ and AK unless he's a known loose raiser. I do this to become the aggressor of the hand and to put more money in when I'm favourite.
Some could argue that a wider reraising hand range is better but I like it on 100nl and below
Old 11-21-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or you could take the other route, and regularily reraise with sub-premium hands. I do this quite a bit, and it seems to be more effective than "slowplaying" big hands preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been using this approach too. it's a pretty effective way of defining opponents hands for fairly cheap and generating a lot more fold equity for continuation bets.

it also disguises your hand very well when you end up going against someone that actually does have a hand.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:51 AM

Isura,

I think it is a very situational thing. I sort of alluded to this, but I think it can be really good in shorthanded situations. Full ring (which I almost never play anymore) I am more inclined to just raise. I have definitely gone the route you described depending on the table texture. As everyone here knows, it just depends. But I do think what xorbie posted has some real merit and people should probably take the point into consideration.