Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2003, 12:14 PM

Default How was our play?

Paradise 5-10

One of my favorite 2+2er is sitting UTG+1 and open-limps. This makes me nervous.

Its folded around to me. I'm sitting on the button with JJ. I raise. The BB calls, 2+2er calls.

Flop comes: A 4 Q (suits unimportant)

Check, Check

Ok, a 2+2er open limps in EP. There is an Ace and a queen on the board, what did he limp with that he's checking here!!?? I check.

Turn comes another Q!

Check, Check again. hmm. I smell a check-raise. I check.

River comes an 8 (no flush).

now the BB bets out. 2+2er calls, I call.

BB shows KT for a missed gutshot
2+2er shows pocket 3's
My hand is good.

How did we play?

-Scott
Old 05-29-2003, 12:42 PM

Default Re: How was our play?

Afraid.

Although probably right to be afraid. I'd be the flop and hope to take the pot there. An EP ace should be raising coming in, unless the game is real loose passive and he's limping with Axs. If called one the flop, I'd check the turn also and call one bet on the river.

Depending on the texture of the game, I don't like the open limp w/33 unless you're pretty sure 5 others are coming. And with another 2+2er behind I like it even less. The call on the river by 33 is tenuous. I can see not wanting the BB to take it down uncontested but what can you raise PF with that he can beat? KJ, JT maybe. I'd fold if i were him and curse at the screen if you folded too.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:57 PM

I'd bet the flop because I have JJ and nobody has made it clear to me that they can beat that yet. I win a lot of pots right away in this situation. Typically if anyone calls me I'll check down the turn and river(sometimes folding to a river bet, sometimes calling; player/mood dependent). The Q is definitely the card I'd be worried about the UTG+1 player having (if you think he's solid). Most Aces would either raise preflop (if strong) or bet out here (if weak with suited kicker). So I don't like your check on the flop but I do like your check on the turn and call on the river.

I don't like calling with 33 in early position but that's just me, some people will say that's okay if the game is decent.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:16 PM

Checking the flop seems routine, however... The REAL question is whether or not you can easily play the turn when nothing comes. Can you confidently fold if they bet? Confidently bet if they check? If so, checking the flop is a no brainer. But if the anser is "I won't know what to do on the turn" then you should BET the flop, even as an slight underdog, so long as the bet WILL let you play the turn more confidently. Usually this means you can expect your PF raise and bet with the AQx board to cause the opponents to play predictably fearful of your hand.

Anticipating your position on the next round should be a routine consideration for marginal situations this round.

- Louie

PS. Shame on the 2+2er for not taking the no-brainer stab at it on the turn.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:18 PM

I'd bet the flop every time. Failing to do that, I'd definitely bet the turn. Your opponents have shown no interest in this board TWICE!

Why would you be scared of a turn check raise after the flop was checked around? I almost never, ever see that happen. Is this 2+2er known for that kind of play?
Old 05-29-2003, 01:24 PM

I think DavidRoss limping UTG with pocket 3s played this hand horribly as he should have thrown them away. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You, on the other hand, had every right to be scared on every street and 9 out of 10 times someone will have trip Qs or Aces over your jacks... I think you played it timid, but just fine (matter of fact, I may just fold if there's a bet on the turn.)
Old 05-29-2003, 01:47 PM

Yeah David is a real suckers for those little pairs [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2003, 01:53 PM

I think you have to bet the flop here Scott. By checking you leave yourself open to a turn bluff by the 2+2'er. Lucky for you he played it like an ass by not betting the turn. Knowing your play as well as I do, I would have raised the river.

Now tell us which idiot played 33 UTG+1 this way!
Old 05-29-2003, 03:10 PM

Looks like you got intimidated here. Why? Because he's a fellow poster on this forum? You raised PF on the button with JJ, flop was A high, they checked to you. What are you waiting for? Bet! You can easily represent lots of Ace hands here and pick up the pot right there. You unnecessarily gave a free card that could have caused you grief. Supposing an innocent-looking 3 came on the turn and the 2+2'er bet or checked, what would you have done? Had it been a J and BB bet would you have raised? You played dangerously scared, IMO.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:29 PM

Sorry, I read the original post slightly incorrectly.

I would bet the flop when checked to me. If I got any callers I would probably check the rest of the hand barring a J falling on the turn (which didn't happen). The turn Q is scary no matter how you look at it and even if they don't have a Q in their hand, you still have to worry about the Ace. I'm not thinking that a guy in ep and a respected player is limping with 3-3, but it obviusly happens on occasion....