Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Bunky\'s NL holiday challenge Days 5-6

Well, I've come to a conclusion.

I'm not a winner, I'm not a loser. I'm a break evener. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'll give you the stats quick for a grand total to date, then we'll discuss specific hands and see if I'm effed up or not.

3855 hands total.
VP$IP 17.96
Total Profit (loss) $36.52

Thats right, $36.52. Much better than a loss, and frankly its really a miracle that I'm ahead at all. I'll post a few hands for review and see if I'm way out of line against some of the most horrible players known to man.

I have KK in the SB and a 110 stack. BB is a total tard. hats my read FWIW, he drops stacks quicker than the prom queen drops her dress after three beers.

I raise to $7.00 after three limpers. BB cold calls (He now has $26 left.), all else fold.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet $15.00, he pushes, I call. Flips 97o. Board does not pair. Oh well, I'll get it eventually. He gave it away to someone else. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Heres the big hand that saved my ass last night. But, I dunno about the line against calling stations.

I have AA in MP (with a 92.00 stack). 3 limpers to me, I make it $8.00, 3 callers. Sweet!

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Even better.

BB bets $8.00, EP calls $8.00. I make it $40.00 straight. rest fold, BB calls all in for his last 14.00, EP calls? I have $48.00 left or so, and decide its going in on the turn regardless now.

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (perfect)
He checks, I push, he calls.

River is an offsuit 7 putting a 4 straight on board.

They both had KJo.

I have black 77. I'm on the button with a 95 stack.
villains both have me covered and are pretty straight forward.

4 to the flop unraised.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checked to MP who bets $4.00, I raise to $15.00. BB cold calls. MP calls.

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, MP bets $12.00, I call, BB check raises to $24.00. MP folds, I call.

River A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB bets 20, I fold.

Alright, not off to a great start, but, I know one thing, it could be a lot worse.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Bunky\'s NL holiday challenge Days 5-6

hey bunky, sorry to see you're not doing better than you can be, but hey, you still got days to go. for every slow day you're sure to have a monster one soon enough.

Hand 3 are you folding to any non-pairing river? cuz I think you should.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3 are you folding to any non-pairing river? cuz I think you should.

[/ QUOTE ]

Between heartbeats. I'm not calling with anything less than a boat there, but the Boat I would value bet in case he froze up and decided to check through, praying he would raise me.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:04 AM

If it makes you feel any better I've won a total of $92.17 over my last 10,600 hands. Breaking even or long stetches sucks, but it sucks less than huge downswings over slightly shorter stretches.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:24 PM

Hey bunky,

Keep hanging in there. All three hands look standard to me. I promise that it'll turn around...

Mike
Old 12-07-2004, 12:29 PM

they all look good. hey look on the bright side, at least your downstreaks have been break even!
Old 12-07-2004, 12:33 PM

Thanks Mike. I just keep plugging away. I'm just concentrating on playing solid poker and hope everything takes care of itself.

You think the AA hand was standard?

One more hand for your input.

I have QQ in CO. 3 limpers to me I make it $7.00, called only by a limper on my right. I have him covered and we are not majorly deep (around 130 or so)

Flop comes KK7
He bets 5, I smooth call.

Turn 3
He bets 6, I raise to 18, he thinks and calls.

River A
Check, check.

A9o.

It'll turn around soon. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2004, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they all look good. hey look on the bright side, at least your downstreaks have been break even!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for keeping it in perspective. I am really glad to be even at this point. I know that a lesser player would be down a nickel at least.

I find it really hard to log the hands when I'm running bad and fighting to stay even. Let me get off to a big start and look out. I think I may stay up all night. Would hurt either one of us huh?

Oh BTW, thx, I received it yesterday.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:12 PM

hey bunky, dont feel bad, im going through this with ya!

in snowbanks thread i mentioned i started out my month with a huge win but guess what, im just about breakeven after 4k hands.. only up $150 at party 100nl. a combination of bad beats/bad tilt and now im grinding it out to stay in the black.

i just keep telling myself that things will work out. mathematics says so.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:20 PM

Hey Bunky,

On the AA hand, where you make it $8, is this a standard raise? Do you find that you usually get callers when you raise it up to 8 big blinds pre-flop? Thought that was interesting, because if I raised anywhere near that pre-flop I wouldn't get any callers. If you are, thats great though. As long as they don't all fold.