Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Need some thoughts, AA monotone, tricky HU play

Villain is young asian TAG (more aggro than norm), earlier in session he opened in the hijack with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], blinds called, flop K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]y [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] check to asian who bets, SB check raises, bb folds asian calls. Turn is z [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], SB bets, asian calls. River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], sb checks, asian bets and is called, asian wins.

Onto the hand, I open UTG+1 with red AA, folded to SB who is young asian, he calls, bb calls.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, bb folds, I raise, SB 3-bets, I call.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Sb bets, Hero?

My image would be very LAG, he knows I can be light preflop, as I've opened a few pots recently with suited 1 gappers in EP and shown them down.

Thoughts on flop/turn play?

Interesting river play to come (if any of you get there).

Thanks,
Old 10-21-2005, 03:10 PM

Default forgot: 20/40 live brantford charity 10 handed - nt

asd
Old 10-21-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Need some thoughts, AA monotone, tricky HU play

I'd call that flop and raise any non-spade turn.

Now that spade hit the turn -- yuck. I know in my heart it's wrong but I probably call him down.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call that flop and raise any non-spade turn.

Now that spade hit the turn -- yuck. I know in my heart it's wrong but I probably call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you go a little more in depth on why you do this instead of capping hte flop, say the 3rd player does not fold, does that change anything?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:17 PM

I called his 3-bet with the intention to raise a non-spade turn.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know in my heart it's wrong but I probably call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to call down at least raise for showdown and give yourself a chance to fold two-pair small spade etc.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:15 PM

You don't gain much by raising the flop. You can't make him fold a hand that is going to draw out on you, just call and perhaps raise the turn. You could even wait for the river on this one if you were so inclined.

Given the way you played it... don't call down. If you have enough equity to call, you should raise. Why give him the free 9 outs for half the pot? Very few players will bluff 3-bet in this spot, and if he does, tip your cap and push him the pot.

good luck.
eric
Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't gain much by raising the flop. You can't make him fold a hand that is going to draw out on you, just call and perhaps raise the turn. You could even wait for the river on this one if you were so inclined.

Given the way you played it... don't call down. If you have enough equity to call, you should raise. Why give him the free 9 outs for half the pot? Very few players will bluff 3-bet in this spot, and if he does, tip your cap and push him the pot.

good luck.
eric

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I would raise the flop. Are you saying that not raising kills action later, and youd rather see the turn, and raise that?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:09 AM

This post is hilarious since the young asian is me. I rarely play live since I prefer shorthanded (30/60 @ pp is my usual spot) and it's hard to find a shorthanded table Ontario (I am in waterloo).

I'll reveal my hand in question after you post the turn/river. FWIW, I felt you were reasonable preflop (the table was very passive) and on the weakside postflop (i.e., I felt you respected me enough to make a fold on 4th/5th street). Also I would like to add that I believe there was a cc preflop.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:30 AM

All the matters is when you mess with Mr. Lee, he will take you down. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hope to play with you again, nh.