Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Another thought on the moose post

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hunting illegally and hunting legally are ENTIRELY different things. Hunting LEGALLY poses no threat, because it is done in a manner which will allow the species population to remain sustainable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

In fact, hunters are far more likely to be out in state parks, for instance, than the general population. They're probably much more interested in conservation than you think, and could easily be made great allies for green movements.

Ad hominem attacks are not going to win anyone over.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really true. Organized hunting groups are one of the biggest allies to environmental organizations. I have a lot of friends who are hunters as well. As Stuey said, it has a lot to do with how you were brought up, hunters can be good people as well. I just think the activity is reprehensible.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:02 PM

Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

(just joking, not really)
Old 10-08-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize you have to kill things to live. I eat meat. I love eating meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you really want is to live a sanitized life in denial about how the animals you consume met their demise? As long as your belly is full you could really care less about the dispicable treatment some animals get in our factory farm system.

[ QUOTE ]
There is no *need* to kill the animals to eat their meat because there's plenty of it already around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read this sentance again and think about it.

The guy in the photo went out and worked for this. It'll feed his family well and I'm glad for him.

Save the poorly thought out rants for drunk girls. Bigger payoff.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:10 PM

You just lost your food privileges if there's a disaster.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not analogous. Money is not plentiful. You can always use more money. Not so with food.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are other ways to obtain the same amount of money that don't have negative consequences.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:59 PM

Old 10-08-2005, 09:59 PM

once again, i have no interest in hunting at all, but i suppose many hunters place a very low value on the value of the life of an animal, and can rationalize away the pain involved by considering that all over the world animals are being killed (painfully) at any given moment. being killed and eaten is a natural part of being a predated animal.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what you really want is to live a sanitized life in denial about how the animals you consume met their demise? As long as your belly is full you could really care less about the dispicable treatment some animals get in our factory farm system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently.

Kurosh, I get your point about the motives of some hunters -- the idea of killing animals as purely "sport" disturbs me -- but hunting can and does serve other purposes. For example, I feel much better about eating meat that I've hunted than I do about eating meat raised in animal factories. The fact is that if I'm going to eat meat, I'd rather the animal lived a natural life, either in the wild or, at the least, on an organic farm free of pesticides, hormones, and ridiculous levels of antibiotics.

Secondly, hunting often controls the populations. Overpopulation can result in starvation if the species outgrows its food sources, it can result in diseases, it can result in increased car accidents, etc etc.

Like I said, I understand your distaste for the "sport hunter mentality," but that's about it. You seem to think that just because you don't actually see or raise animals in a factory setting that that means you're not at all responsible for buying it. This would be true if there were no other options available, but that's not the case (of course, this means you have to venture into hippie Whole Foods stores).

I've eaten meat from all three of these sources, so it's not like I'm trying to talk you into hunting or buying natural/organic foods, or going vegetarian. I just think it's hypocritical to rant about how inhumane it is to hunt a deer because there's "plenty of meat to go around" thanks to an INCREDIBLY inhumane animal factory system that is much worse on animals than a slug to the head is. Not to mention that those conditions definitely affect the quality of the product -- you can't tell me that a chicken raised in a tiny pen full of its own [censored] is going to taste as good or be as healthy as, say, a pheasant or game hen shot in the wild.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
once again, i have no interest in hunting at all, but i suppose many hunters place a very low value on the value of the life of an animal, and can rationalize away the pain involved by considering that all over the world animals are being killed (painfully) at any given moment. being killed and eaten is a natural part of being a predated animal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you eat meat? I'm just curious, because you sound like a vegetarian (which is totally cool by me). At least I hope you are, because if you're not, your logic sucks.

The moral difference between buying meat at a supermarket and killing the animal yourself is pretty negligible. Would you say that murder represents a lack of respect for human life, but ordering a hit on someone is fine? If you want an analogy, that's it right there. Either way, an animal dies so you can eat meat -- the only difference is, in one case you're paying someone else to actually kill the animal so you can live in denial.

(not necessarily addressed to Sephus, since I speculate Sephus = vegetarian)
Old 10-08-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can't tell me that a chicken raised in a tiny pen full of its own [censored] is going to taste as good or be as healthy as, say, a pheasant or game hen shot in the wild.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't tell me that if I placed two cuts of chicken in front of you, one "free range" and one "normal grocery store," that you could tell a difference.

Ditto goes for the "healthy" argument. Until you can come up with better evidence than the FDA, you have no basis for supposing one type of chicken is more harmful to your health than the other.