Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 12:55 AM

Default A9s in SB and my first post :)

OK, so perhaps this is a simple one, but its my first post, so go easy on me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The villain was somewhat loose (35/5) and not very aggressive (0.8 aggression). I thought perhaps I ought to have raised preflop, and perhaps checked the river? Would anyone have checkraised anywhere along here?

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: A9s in SB and my first post :)

Nope I play it the same way. nh, welcome to the forum.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:09 AM

I also think the way you played is just fine

It's tough to check raise a person with aggression less than one

value bet the calling station
Old 09-21-2005, 01:16 AM

Nice hand, and welcome to the forums! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regarding your questions:

I might raise preflop here, but A9s can be very difficult to play out of position, especially against a loose/passive calling station who won't be nice enough to tell you when you're beat. If there's an edge to raising preflop, it's a very narrow one, and I don't think that just completing even qualifies as a mistake.

The flop came down about as drawless as it could have, so there's no point in going for a check/raise, especially against such a passive opponent. These are value bets on every street...if it just happened that he won this hand, that's just tough luck. You should play it this way every time, and expect to make a lot of money in the long run by doing so. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I might raise preflop here, but A9s can be very difficult to play out of position, especially against a loose/passive calling station who won't be nice enough to tell you when you're beat. If there's an edge to raising preflop, it's a very narrow one, and I don't think that just completing even qualifies as a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think its important to drive the BB out then and get it HU?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:27 AM

I raise this preflop. Your river bet is a must as villian will most likely call with many more hands than he will bet AND pay off with if you check.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 AM

You're definately thinking along the right lines about the pre-flop raise. But I would personally prefer for the limper to have come in a little further back to raise. Then you can feel more confident about your ace having the best kicker. You played it fine, imo. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:41 AM

Raise A9s in early position with 3 players? Borderline for sure, hmmm, I'll roll those dice.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 01:44 AM

With only one limper, I'd raise PF to get it heads up as well. Otherwise, nice hand Kiddo.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think its important to drive the BB out then and get it HU?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if you're raising preflop here, it's for value more than to get the BB out of the hand--unless he's incredibly weak/tight, he's not going to fold a better hand than your A9s very often (if at all), but will still call the raise with any number of worse hands. So will your loose/passive limper, of course.

The question then becomes whether or not the extra 1 or 2 SBs you gain preflop when you raise outweigh the disadvantage that you'll have playing this hand postflop from out of position. I tend to think it will, but like I said, I think the equity advantage gained from raising is probably so slight that limping would also be correct (especially if your postflop skills are still coming along).