Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Negreanu\'s latest blog update...

[ QUOTE ]

It is akin to standing in line at McDonalds and after making your purchase being handed a coupon good for a free bag of fries if you are willing to show up at another time and place of their choosing and participate in a random drawing between X number of other customers. Now when you arrive at the drawing they have added 3 customers to the drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but this is EXACTLY the same thing. A portion of the proceeds from your last purchase of fries was used to help fund the prizes they are giving out now....they've added 3 people to the list that didn't buy anything, thus giving them an equal shot at winning the prizes you are going for....how is that not different from what is going on now? Please enlighten me because i'm genuinely curious. Yeah it sucks because they could win and I couldn't even though I earned the right to be there and they didn't...but if i'm not a ticketholder I don't really give a rats, and if I might be a ticketholder next year and it means more money for me then i'm ok with it...yeah the current year ticketholders got screwed, but oh well, sucks to be them.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if i'm not a ticketholder I don't really give a rats

[/ QUOTE ]

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
--Pastor Martin Niemöller

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 AM

Please, dont try to make yourself out as a champion of humanity. You're insinuating that it takes as much courage to whine about a trivial issue in a poker tournament as it does to speak and act out against true injustice such as political or religious persecution. You have no sense of proportion. Im bored... you know you're wrong on this and are just trying to stir the [censored].
Old 11-09-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have no sense of proportion. Im bored... you know you're wrong on this and are just trying to stir the [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 100% positive I am correct that an injustice here was done, perhaps not on the epic scale of what I quoted, but one nevertheless.

People blindly following the lead of an organization that is outright stealing from other players is beyond belief.

No, I am far from a "champion of humanity," but those times I see something wrong, I see no problem in standing behind what is right, even if you find it "trivial."

At some point, the tide must be stemmed.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-09-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one in the tournament is guaranteed to be getting less money. Are you telling me that if the first player to get knocked out gets his pocket aces cracked by someone other than the BIG THREE he made less money that he would have if they had not been in the tourney? Hint: If your answer is anything other than a resounding no then you do not understand poker or math. Since the correct answer is obviously no then your post was a waste of your effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were only two players in the whole tournament, and it was winner-take-all, you could also get knocked on the first hand and walk away with nothing. Does that mean your equity is the same whether there are two or 2000 players in a tournament? Your examples suggest that it is *you* that has very little understanding of poker or math.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor little Tim, no reading skills either? How do you survive at the poker table? Using Caro's Book of Tells?

Hint #1: You either missed or intentionally ignored the word guaranteed in my quote.

Hint #2: Losing tournamnet equity and losing money are two entirely different things. I never meant to imply nor did I ever state that someone's tourney equity was not lowered by additional entrants. I did in fact state that it was however it was short sighted thinking with a higher longterm benefit of sponsors like Pepsi participating in future events.

In your example of a heads up winner take all tourney assuming that both players are equal they would both have 50% tourney equity. Now suppose you add two more players to the winner take all format (of equal skill to the original two) then naturally I would agree that your equity dropped to 25%. However if you get put out of the first hand of the tourney you won zero dollars in either case so the addition of the extra players did not change your payout. Please tell me you understand this simple concept otherwise I believe the ignore user function might be in order.

I have already explained in another post which you ignored that at some point in the tourney (the point where you get close to cashing in the money) that the additional players affected your income. However it should be obvious to all that at the bottom of the ladder as long as one of the added players did not knock you out there are two many other factors involved to consider the additional players even a marginal consideration.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 PM

I'd consider it a more than $500 when it is three of the best players in the world. They all have to have at least a 3x expectation, so that is like adding nine extra players in terms of expecataion.
Would you rather there be nine average players or those three?
I'd rather there be nine average added if I was in.

SD
Old 11-09-2005, 01:56 PM

First we had the killing fields of Cambodia, and now THIS. Oh the humanity.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:13 PM

If we only fight for what is right based on the wrong being worse than previous wrongs, then we might as well roll up camp now as civilization just left the building.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Wow, you really are out of it aren't you? Do you spend 2 hours arguing with the clerk at 7-11 over a mislabled pack of gum?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Let me expound for the reply I know is coming: Yes it is unfair, yes it sucks, I agree 100,000% (sic). But sometimes the people who pay the bills crap on us. To imply (as you do) that this kind of injustice--perpertrated on people who can lose $1 mil+ in a night and whistle all the way home--has any bearing, cause-effect relationship, foreboding or otherwise parable to any of the REAL injustices in the world is so far beyond ludicrous that it's not worth the time I'm spending typing th