Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Thought.... always minraise instead of limping pf?

I was thinking about this...just wondering if anybody has done an analysis about the strategy before? Basically the thought is that every time you'd open limp, you just miniraise it to 2 instead. Seems like it would make your low PPs/suited connectors alot more profitable when you hit... and also it seems like it would occasionally (rarely...but occasionally) buy you blinds.

It doesnt seem like it would reveal or conceal your hand any more than limping would normally, but it seems like it could skew your stats enough to confuse good players...

Any thoughts?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Thought.... always minraise instead of limping pf?

Interesting argument but I think this would be a bad strategy from early or late position.

From LP I want to raise most hands that I play, and only limp with really marginal hands that need help on the flop. If I have Ax suited in a pot with 3 callers, I don't want to risk getting limpraised by some guy with AA or KK and miss my chance to stack him with a flush.

From early position, you are risking twice as much with a good chance you will get reraised out of the pot. You also have less chance of buying the pot than if it was folded to you in the CO because there are more people left to act. I don't like playing big pots out of position.

Finally, you mentioned one advantage is that it would skew your stats. Maybe if your opponents are datamining you could confuse them for the first 10 hands they actually play with you, they'll catch on. And then, everytime they see you minraise you bet they'll be raising it up more. And it will be tough to tell if it's a thinking opponent that knows your stategy or just a weak tight nit that has a monster.

A nice theory, and your description makes it sound like a good idea, but there are a lot of flaws.