Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Bankroll Requirements.

I have been playing NL holdem for a while now. I read about all sorts of bankroll requirements that suggest slowly moving up the limits. Personally I have found this advice to be bad advice. My reasoning is... If you can't pull down enough money to pay your expenses in life and have money left over for other things then what is the point?

You aren't going to make enough money for your time if you are constantly trying to figure out how to beat the quarter table. I think it is best to take a shot at making some money that will actually matter. I would rather be making good money at one higher stakes NL table than playing 7 low limit tables all at once paying no attention to the game and winning small profits.

I'm not suggesting you just take your whole roll to a table and blow it on a chance. There are better ways to do it than that, but I just think that a requirement of $XXXX to play at X/X Limit will only hold you down.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-20-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Bankroll Requirements.

i think that i dont play for a living so becoming the best player i can possibly be means a lot more than the monitary value of hitting a big score. i like 20 buy ins...
Old 11-20-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You aren't going to make enough money for your time if you are constantly trying to figure out how to beat the quarter table.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't the point of having bankroll requirements. it's done to protect players. by minimizing a winning player's chances of going broke due to the variance he encounters in poker. it makes no assumption on the amount of $$$ a player requires to subsist on.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:24 AM

Id rather be not making a living at quarter tables than losing a living at high stakes.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Id rather be not making a living at quarter tables than losing a living at high stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of something good to write on this thread and you took the words out of my mouth.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:31 PM

My whole take on it is that playing 7 tables at once for a living is a JOB. You look to minimize risk and expect that everything will pan out. I would rather take bigger risks that I have prepared for. I will find a soft table, bring the right amount of money to the table, and see what happens. Obviously if I lose at a higher limit I will be forced to back down and make some more money to take another stab at that higher limit, but as soon as I have the money I'm going to try.

I don't want poker to be my JOB, I look at the tables and see investment opportunities and I try and go with the best one no matter what the limit is. As long as I can afford 3-4 buy ins I will take a stab if the table looks ripe.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:16 PM

this isn't the point of having bankroll requirements. it's done to protect players. by minimizing a winning player's chances of going broke due to the variance he encounters in poker. it makes no assumption on the amount of $$$ a player requires to subsist on.

[/ QUOTE ]

An even better response
Old 11-20-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't pull down enough money to pay your expenses in life and have money left over for other things then what is the point?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want poker to be my JOB, I look at the tables and see investment opportunities and I try and go with the best one no matter what the limit is. As long as I can afford 3-4 buy ins I will take a stab if the table looks ripe.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, which is it?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:48 PM

I agree with what you are saying about moving up so that you can actually make some money. I also agree that you might have a better chance to do this at one table at a high limit than multi-table for micro limit. You can simply pay better attention and hopefully make the right play.....

...but then some donk hits a one outter on the river after he called oop with no pot odds (you couldnt have played the hand better). When this happens once or twice in a row are you broke?