Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-25-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Small Pocket Pairs in the blinds (theory discussion)

[ QUOTE ]

sorry, i didn't remember the original post, i thought you were talking about pp's oop in general, not only in the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Answering your question, if the raiser is tight call, if not (and if he raises late) try reraising or poting a low card flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
hmmm... don't like it. I think that's far too aggro...
Old 12-25-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

with <50BB stacks that's my thoughts as well... Is this the general consensus? Any reference from trusted 2+2 authors / high-limit players?

[/ QUOTE ]

yawwwn...this has been discussed ad naseum. the ciaffone 5/10 rule for drawing hands is the accepted standard. if you are facing a raise less than 5% of your stack its an easy call, more than 10% it's an easy fold. between that use your judgement. you hit a set 12% of the time, this is why the rule works, you are putting a rule of thumb judgement of the implied odds for the hand. If you call for 10% of your stack you must stack the opponent every time you hit for it to be a profitable preflop call.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:28 PM

Mercman,

I know the 5-10 rule... I have been using it until now - I just wonder whether it works out of position as well... It just seems to me that it's real hard to stack someone with a set when OOP... so what percentage of the stack would you call? 5%? or less?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mercman,

I know the 5-10 rule... I have been using it until now - I just wonder whether it works out of position as well... It just seems to me that it's real hard to stack someone with a set when OOP... so what percentage of the stack would you call? 5%? or less?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not hard to stack someone out of position, sets aren't exactly the kind of hand you should have problems playing oop. Just bet into him and all that stuff you probably allready know
Old 12-25-2005, 10:34 PM

so what's my leak? why am I losing with 66-22? What could be the possible reasons?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:35 PM

Sets are pretty much the easiest hands to play out of position, if you're losing with them you probably don't have a big enough sample size.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:37 PM

I'm not losing with sets, I'm losing with small pocket pairs.

edit: I suck at poker but not THAT bad.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sets are pretty much the easiest hands to play out of position, if you're losing with them you probably don't have a big enough sample size.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's very true, sample size is fundamental here, you may not have a leak at all.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:40 PM

10K database... not huge... but the fact that the trend can be seen on all small pocket pairs is quite worrying...
Old 12-25-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mercman,

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not hard to stack someone out of position, sets aren't exactly the kind of hand you should have problems playing oop. Just bet into him and all that stuff you probably allready know

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then you're shaky on the use your judgement part. Yes out of position (as I originally posted) I will not call more than 5% if they are a loose raisor or if they are weaktight.

And yes, it is quite hard to stack a decent play out of position with a set, here's why. A standard PFR of 4BB and call gives you 8BB in the pot. A PSB of 8 puts 24BB in the pot. Typically you bet 2/3 on a non draw type turn, so that puts (16 bet and call) 56BB in the river. Most river bets are for 1/2-2/3 pot for value if you want them to be called. That's still not 100BB and that's still not +EV. That's assuming you just bet and are called on a non draw heavy board, although there are other lines and draw heavy boards, there are also the times the villain folds to your first bet to factor in as well. So out of position I recommenend no more than a 5BB call unless you have some sort of read on the player. If you are against someone thatoverplays one pair that is obviously different, but I am talking about a semi-decent player.