Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: KK turns ugly.

If he is your typical LAG, he probably raised with a med PP, I would have re-raised preflop considering he could be raising with anything. What kind of hands does this guy raise with? Anyway, I wouldn't like the board pairing and having a three flush on the board. He might have raised with a hand like A8, or A9, but I find that unlikley UTG even for a LAG, I think it is more likely he raised with a Medium pocket pair or suited overcards. But I would folded the turn, facing a raise. When I go up against a LAG, I let him bet the pot for me and just call him down.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:01 PM

I would call with a KOS, it gives you nine more outs granted that you are not already drawing dead.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you please explain why... I can't see it. Are you saying that KK here is same as QQ or JJ or TT or even A9? and why? -

[/ QUOTE ]

(While I was at lunch 42 answered this question better than I could have, so I'll just add...)

Basically, yes. But with qualifications...

KK is a good hand, but it's never the nuts unless it improves. People often play AA and KK like they are invulnerable by slowplaying, building huge pots and setting big traps, but often when they do this they end up getting stacked. Why? Becasue unimproved KK is just one-pair.

If you have 20k+ hands in PT, take a look at your stats. How often does 1-pair win? You may be surprised to see that one-pair only wins about 33% of the time.

KK is a great one-pair hand, no doubt about it. It will beat the tar out of many hands that your opponents might be inclined to overvalue, like QQ or AK. But it's still just one-pair. Sometimes it's right to back up KK with your whole stack. But often it's not. Don't ever let yourself start thinking, "Damnit, KK is a great hand, and I'm going to win this pot with it, and I don't care that my opponent just minraised a brick."

The fact that KK is just one-pair is easier to keep in perspective if you ask yourself how you would feel about your hand if it was A9o. KK is better than A9, sure. But they're both one pair.

(Edited for clarity & grammmatic stupidity)
Old 12-21-2005, 03:21 PM

You're right... I find it harder to drop KK on a low flop than drop 2 bottom pairs...
Old 12-21-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, What would you do here if one of you Kings was [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can check behind on the turn with the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right... I find it harder to drop KK on a low flop than drop 2 bottom pairs...

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that wierd? I find it wierd, anyway. I stuggle with it to this day.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that weird? I find it weird, anyway. Many of us struggle with it every session we play.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-21-2005, 04:02 PM

this is because KK has much better chances of improving if behind, and because bottom two pair is only beating AA and KK and so its not exactly much more powerful. holla.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How 'bout a preflop raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to reinforce this. I totally skipped over the fact that hero didn't re-raise PF, but really should have.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is because KK has much better chances of improving if behind, and because bottom two pair is only beating AA and KK and so its not exactly much more powerful. holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh, holla has made its way into SSNL. (BTW - nice point on bottom 2-pr)