Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-14-2005, 12:19 PM

Default 5/10 Texture questions aka DIDS IS ALL GROWNS UP

So like, I'm playing 5/10 now.

This is a REALLY basic hand, but I'm just trying to get a feel from people with more experience at this level in terms of average levels of agression and what not. Based on a very limited sample, it feels slightly more passive that 3/6...

Anyway.

KK in the BB, folded to the SB who open completes. I'm new to the table, but mined stats tell me that he's like 40/15 and he's sitting on like 80 bucks.

I raise, he tanks and calls.

Flop is 643 two clubs.

He check raises the flop, I 3-bet and he caps.

Turn is a non club not scary straight card he bets and I call down from there on out.

Now in retrospect I think there's other factors that mean that I probably should blast away on the turn, but I think this is a good example hand to look at and try and think about what your basic unknown at 5/10 is how different the levels of agression are from 3/6.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Texture questions aka DIDS IS ALL GROWNS UP

I don't think there is a difference. I play both the exact same, but not at the same time. What I mean is that I started at 3/6, pre-maturely (bankroll-wise) moved up to 5/10 and didn't notice a difference then dropped down to 3/6 and again didn't notice any difference.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 PM

I think I'd throw one more raise on the turn. I mean there isn't a lot to be afraid of on this board and there are a bunch of draws. and they love putting you on a big A here I think...
Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd throw one more raise on the turn. I mean there isn't a lot to be afraid of on this board and there are a bunch of draws. and they love putting you on a big A here I think...

[/ QUOTE ]

What jba said :-) Also, your typical 40/15 is gonna wait until the turn to pump a set if they have it. Two pair's a possibility but you gots outs.

"And you grows up, and you grows up!" - T

Man I need to see Swingers again.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM

A 40/15 c/r/caps and then leads the turn? I know its a blind battle, but I play it the same. I'd get absolutely sick to get 3bet on the turn, and I think you will fairly often.

fyi that scene in Swingers, when Trent jumps up on the table, was almost all improv.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:33 PM

calling down is so weak, cowboys are the nuts here. sb has no pair like 40% of the time here
Old 12-14-2005, 01:53 PM

I think that's a pretty ridiculous assumption. Normal 5/10 players do not cap then lead draws OOP anywhere close to 40% of the time.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:56 PM

i didnt say they did
Old 12-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Dids,

I believe that whether you see differences from 3/6 to 5/10 depends in part on the site. In general, you should expect more aggression at 5/10.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:26 PM

you feel 5/10 is more passive than 3/6? interesting

anyway, as for the hand, in HU blind spots like this, I prolly call the flop c/r and raise any non club non straight turn, unless I know hes really aggresive post flop, in which case ill 3 bet and let him cap and still raise the safe turn. Because all to often they shutdown with their top pair or draw after I 3 bet the flop and just call down because IMO anyone open completing in the SB in the party 5/10 game sucks at poker and is a passive wimp and I net an extra SB by waiting for the turn against these types

Here tho the guy is short stacked and the board is super draw heavy....crappy players love to shovel the last of their chips in when they have nothing more than a draw. I really dont fear a set or 2 pair given his stats and an open complete. so I raise the turn and call down if 3 bet. If he shows me a better hand, oh well, more power to him, in the long run tho, youll come out way ahead.