Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Default AQs, 8 left, Stars 10+1, feeling stuck

We just combined to the final table 7 hands ago. Since then I had taken down 3 hands with a PFR. This is the first time I had seen villain in this tournament so all I know is that he had taken down 1 hand preflop with a raise and no flop since we combined tables.

Blinds $3000/$6000 antes $200 (I think that's how much the antes were, this is from memory)

CO: Hero ($110k)
Button: Villain ($130k)

2 stacks are smaller than me (~$80k each), 2 others are within $30k, and 2 are $200k+. 8th pays $190, 1st pays $1800.

Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Folded to Hero who raises to $18k. Villain min-reraises to $30k.

If I wasn't in such an obvious steal position I would have no trouble laying this down. I am normally a cash game player who is just starting in tournaments so this is probably a pretty simple situation here.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: AQs, 8 left, Stars 10+1, feeling stuck

Looks like a push to me.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I wasn't in such an obvious steal position I would have no trouble laying this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but as is he's giving you pretty nice odds to go ahead and call and see what comes. Because you've been very aggressive (3 steals in 7 hands) and because it is an obvious steal position, his range here can be very wide. Go ahead and call and take it from there. Alternatively, you can push, but I think this isn't a terrible spot to take a flop and I think you'll have more folding equity after the flop. I'd bet if you miss and check if you hit in this circumstance.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Stars 10+1, feeling stuck

What tourney number is this,

I don't see any 10+1 FT's going?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Right, but as is he's giving you pretty nice odds to go ahead and call and see what comes. Because you've been very aggressive (3 steals in 7 hands) and because it is an obvious steal position, his range here can be very wide. Go ahead and call and take it from there. Alternatively, you can push, but I think this isn't a terrible spot to take a flop and I think you'll have more folding equity after the flop. I'd bet if you miss and check if you hit in this circumstance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm yeah, a stop and go sounds really good right here.

Also, if villain makes a real reraise (to, say, $50k), this becomes a fold until I find out that villain is restealing too much, correct?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The tournament was last night. I thought about this hand as I was falling asleep and again as I woke up today so I decided it was time to post since I couldn't decide what I thought the right play was.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If I wasn't in such an obvious steal position I would have no trouble laying this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to push here AQs is a big hand and villain may fold. I am almost alwasys reraising with Aqs versus a late position raise.

I don't understand why OP would find it easy to fold AQs to a raise. I would fold it in some situations, but usually I am calling or reraising.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:35 PM

I like the stop and go here. Min reraises are a bit irritating, and could mean JJ or tens here. You're better off seeing the flop, I think. As was said, check if you hit, bet if you miss.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The tournament was last night. I thought about this hand as I was falling asleep and again as I woke up today so I decided it was time to post since I couldn't decide what I thought the right play was.

[/ QUOTE ]

The min raise stinks to high hell. Your not very deep so a call here might not be the best thing to do.

PUSH OR FOLD
Old 11-26-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if villain makes a real reraise (to, say, $50k), this becomes a fold until I find out that villain is restealing too much, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given how aggressive you've been, I have to think that your hand performs pretty well against the range of hands villain has. It's difficult to tell just how tight the table is, but it would be pretty surprising if there wasn't restealing going on. Standing up for yourself here will also defend future stealing efforts somewhat, assuming you survive. So I think if I've been that aggressive, I'm folding this hand very very rarely.