Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Staying with your limits

This is where i have a lot of trouble is sticking to my limits I have a roll for 30's and below but i am just sitting online thinking about playing a 100 or 200 dollar tournament and that is where i blow all my money what do you guys do to stop this.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Staying with your limits

Nevermind
Old 07-22-2005, 06:43 PM

Well, trying to build a bankroll soley on MTTs is by far not an easy task, You should consider to play ring games/sngs. You can't play 100s or 200s if you don't have the bankroll for it. Def. no no. Just think about long term. All you need is one big hit in a 20 or 30 and you are practically set.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:02 PM

Try qualifying for a seat via SNG or MTT satellite, if you make it, then play, otherwise continue on with your regular MTTs
Old 07-22-2005, 07:10 PM

there is one all consuming, all controlling emotion that rules us in life - this same emotion defines the holy grail of poker (as it mirrors life and reflects it's astounding growth). Fear.

It's what employers rely on to keep us in our "safe" position, rather than run the "risk" of going "bust" should we attempt to spread our wings.

If it truly is your bankroll (and is not replenishable) then respect, worship, comfort and befriend your fear, otherwise, show the disdain it deserves!

stoneii
Old 07-22-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is one all consuming, all controlling emotion that rules us in life - this same emotion defines the holy grail of poker (as it mirrors life and reflects it's astounding growth). Fear.

It's what employers rely on to keep us in our "safe" position, rather than run the "risk" of going "bust" should we attempt to spread our wings.

If it truly is your bankroll (and is not replenishable) then respect, worship, comfort and befriend your fear, otherwise, show the disdain it deserves!

stoneii

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, nice end to that, i agree
Old 07-22-2005, 08:43 PM

Keep playing above your BR requirements and your problem will cure itself. If you know your BR requirements and do not follow what you know to be correct you have a serious gambling problem. I am serious. Poker is played to make mney via making correct decisions. Anything else is gambling. The correct decision for you is to play what you can afford. If it's 30's and you play 100's you are gambling. Get some help.

Vince
Old 07-22-2005, 08:56 PM

Never play over your head.

While you are at it, DONT....
date a girl only b/c she is smoking hot
have "one more" beer
smoke
eat bad
get bad grades
smell the sour milk
pick at it
use a credit card

Vince, your advice is correct for pro players, but most players here play for profit, but dont depend on it. So the fact that I have 800 in my poker account and play a super event hardly qualifies me for G.A.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:06 PM

The poster said he only had a BR for 30's. If that's not the case then why the post? If it is the case then my advice is right on. I'll go as far to add that if you are playing at a limit in which you are not comfortable regardless of how much money you have you might have a gambling problem because that is what you are doing, gambling. If you are not affected fiancially then it's hard to call it a problem. Recreation might be a more appropriate term. But again why the post? Oh wee, you are probably right. what do I know.

BTW - I recommend that occaisionally everyone plays over there head. Taking a shot is o.k. in my book. just be a little selective. It's like making sure that hot chick doesn't have a six inch Johnson between her legs before you take her out.

Vince
Old 07-22-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's like making sure that hot chick doesn't have a six inch Johnson between her legs before you take her out.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. I was just thrown by your use of "gambling problem". Basically saying that all of the 50 million americans who gamble with -EV have problems.