Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 04:15 PM

Default AKo turn decision

I thought this was easy, but then other people thought it was easy the other way. After discussing this with 4 people, we all came to different conclusions for different reasons so from that I concluded this isn't standard.

BB and UTG are passive donks. SB slightly tighter but basically a straight forward donk.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero ...
Old 06-26-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: AKo turn decision

I think a bet works here, as the last bet we put in this pot.

We can safely fold to a check-raise, and by continuing the aggression on this scary board we could induce alot of better hands to fold. We also get to see a showdown if things go as planned.

These players strike me as the sort who fold on this turn very frequently. They hung around preflop and on the flop with probably meager holdings, and now the board has gotten so scary that their overcards or mid pair just doesn't look very good to them.

Add into the mix that the pot is 6BB's, and I think there's a good bet here.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:19 PM

I'd check behind and usually checkfold the river if someone bets. Against 3-other players I don't think A-high will be good often enough.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:23 PM

Take a free card against 3 players
Old 06-26-2005, 04:33 PM

I think that betting here is better. i think u get many hands to fold here and by betting and gettign c/r u can safely throw ur hand away right there.

By checking u may induce a bluff somewhere on the river from a worse hand. Making a more tricky situation.

If u checked the turn and hit an A or a K on the river what line would u take then?
Old 06-26-2005, 04:37 PM

Take the free card.

There are 3 players, betting will not win the pot.

What do you do if check/raised?

A free showdown here is useless.

Try to spike an A or K.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:39 PM

Considering the stakes, I think this post may belong in the microlimit forum. Anyway...

I agree with the others that checking the turn is the right play. Yes, the 4 was a scare card, but there are still a lot of hands that these players just aren't folding that have you beat. Bad players are good at finding reasons to call you down, so you may even find yourself getting called down by bottom pair.

AK is a great starting hand, but sometimes you just have to give it up.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take the free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might fold a better hand. Any flush draw is hanging around (who we're ahead of right now), but any pair might be folding on this scary board.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do if check/raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fold.

[ QUOTE ]
A free showdown here is useless.

Try to spike an A or K.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they all call the turn bet a free showdown is worth very little, but it's very likely that a number of your opponents will fold this turn.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take the free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might fold a better hand. Any flush draw is hanging around (who we're ahead of right now), but any pair might be folding on this scary board.

[/ QUOTE ]
But they're loose. 1/2 is filled with people who called down every PP regardless of the board.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:07 PM

First of all it doesnt matter that this is 1/2, I should have edited that out. This could easily be 2/4. You have the reads and the decision to make, the level is irrelevant beyond that.

Secondly I dont read here as much as I should, but reading all the responses in this thread seems like you guys dont think enough. I would rather analyze 1 hand really well once a day than just state what my action would be in 200 hands. This isnt the best hand ever, but I still think there are a lot of things to think about in this. Its not just 'check for the freecard' or whatever. Try and apply this to your game in general with overcards against a large field, not just this one hand.