Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-24-2005, 05:07 PM

Default My first hand post in NL

I'm a newb. Have played lots of limit but have gotten sick of it recently. I'm using Ed's short stack play for a few thousand hands to get more inclined to NL. Someone tell me if this is dumb or not as I have no clue. I discussed this with another poster and we both had some interesting things to say about it, but maybe thats just because we both just started playing NL.

From what I can tell this guy is a bit too loose and average aggression. The numbers are about 31.5/5.4/1.6.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

CO ($130.25)
Button ($57)
Hero ($24)
BB ($103.15)
UTG ($197)
UTG+1 ($100)
MP1 ($31.45)
MP2 ($98)
MP3 ($81.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3, BB folds.

Turn: ($9) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero raises $20 [all-in]</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: $17

Now I felt that a slowplay would pay off best and most likely get my whole stack in there. einbert, who I was talking to, thought leading the flop was better because it would indicate more that I didn't have the flush. I'm not sure this player is that smart though and I thought he would at least take a stab on the flop. So thoughts?

The converter didnt work on this hand as it cut out my all in move. Is this a common problem? Also, PT has my money made completely screwed up, I should be even and it says I am way up. Anyone know why or a way to fix this?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: My first hand post in NL

in a six max game where aggression is rampant, I lead the flop. But seeing as this is full ring, I think you played it fine. He obviously didn't have an ace. That sucks, but there's not much you can do. The only other option (a value option) would be to smooth call the turn bet and lead the river for half your remaining stack.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:15 PM

There is an update patch you are missing that fixes the amounts won in PT.

The hand converter kind of messes up all in stuff...usually says you call all in when you push or doesn't show it at all, just shows someone calling the amount you pushed.

On to the hand....I don't like the big raise because you have the nuts. I would flat call again, pray for no clubs to fall to scare him off, and make a reasonable value bet on the river and hopefully get paid off by a guy with an ace that thinks you were drawing with a naked club. Sure you run the risk of losing to a full house, but I wouldn't go around worrying about that, especially playing with smaller stacks.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Given your stack size, there's really no reason to check-raise the turn. You're going to the felt no matter what falls on the river. If you and Villain each had a large stack then I could see an argument for betting / check-raising the turn in order to give a set improper odds to try and fill up.

An alternate line would be to bet out the turn in the hopes that Villain puts you on a steal and raises you, allowing you to get your whole stack in immediately.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:59 PM

since you're short, he's not drawing live. either raise the flop or just call him on the turn and then he's getting 12:38 or ~1:3 on his call on the river which he'll make with basically any pair.

much more interesting if you're trying to shovel more than 24 bb's into the middle.

fim