Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-02-2005, 04:57 AM

Default 99 in SB...4 to the flop...$3/$6

--I'm really not happy w/ the way I played this hand. I think the only street I played correctly was pre-flop.

BU is solid player. UTG is new to table. MP is fishy.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

I think a reraise with pocket 9s in the SB is a mistake with four of us going to the flop...logical? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Flop: (9 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

I need to c/r this flop don't I? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP calls.

I continue to butcher the hand. I'm new to (6 MAX) and this was one of my first 300 hands...I just felt out of sorts for some reason...maybe it was my poor position on this hand. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

River: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP folds.

As badly as I feel I played the flop and turn...should I have finished strongly with a c/r on the river?

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Greg H.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: 99 in SB...4 to the flop...$3/$6

I'm 3-betting PF though it's close because fishy MP will always call. I think there's still enough value out there to raise though. A solid player is raising a lot of things you have beat here. If you call, not CR the flop is criminal.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:16 AM

check calling every street is a good way to let a good player see cheap cards with worse hands and value bet their better hands.

i would 3-bet this preflop. and if not, yes c/r the flop. if not there, c/r the turn. when he bets the river you're most likely toasted.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM

I probably 3-bet PF but calling isn't too bad, but mainly b/c of the advantage of facing the field w/two cold on favorable flops, of which this is a good example. I probably just call 88 and below here unless I really think the two limpers will fold for two more cold each. checkraising flop is very standard here. Had I just called flop, I probably lead this turn; if Button has overs he's likely checking through and its an easy fold to a raise. checkraising river here is very bad unless button is aggro enough to bet his A-high/unimproved overs here AND you can get UTG/MP to fold a Q, a situation that is relatively rare so it doesn't really merit a river checkraise. If you checkraise river button likely folds anything you have beat except maybe 77/66 and 3bets or calls anything that beats you, and when he bets this river in the first place it is very likely he has you beat.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:20 AM

Sometimes I reraise this preflop, sometimes I call. It depends on my table image and my opponents.
As someone else said, calling down in situations like this ensure that you pay off other peoples hands, while giving free cards to hands that may beat you.

A nice way to look at these situations in 6max is to take the top card away on the flop. Just pretend it's not there or replace it with a 2. Which means that you have top pair. So checkraise this sucker, force out the other two players and take the hand down on the turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:29 AM

Sounds like you know exactly how you should play this hand. Self review is almost always right.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A nice way to look at these situations in 6max is to take the top card away on the flop. Just pretend it's not there or replace it with a 2. Which means that you have top pair. So checkraise this sucker, force out the other two players and take the hand down on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aah, an HEFAP concept - Sklansky &amp; Malmuth (2001: 193). It's comforting that i recognised it as such. Time for a re-read methinks.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:53 AM

Im always 3-betting this preflop but since you have decent position you could CR the flop I guess.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This applies on a HU game and against agressive opponents.
Applying this to 4-handed could be disastrous.

I agree that we probably have the best hand and need to play agressively as the OP suggested.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Calling PF is fine with an unknown UTG limper and fishy MP. C/r the flop and take it from there.