Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: thinking about going into isolation

0) Document everything so we can make a movie out of it

1) If you bring any friends, hold onto the map so they don't throw it in the river

2) If you find a bundle of sticks with your friend's body parts, get the eff out of the woods

3) If you hear your missing friend in an abandonded house, DO NOT GO INSIDE IN THE DARK

4) Don't pretend like the movie was real
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 AM

Given the season, I would head for the desert. Somewhere in AZ. Try Zion or Bryce Canyon. The Chiricahua mountains in South East AZ are pretty cool. You will be alone.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:53 AM

I don't know if you've thought about particular location yet. I live in Portland, and have done a fair amount of camping in the NW, SW, and Cali. If you go to the gorge or eastern Oregon, you probably will not be happy. It will be frigid and damp at nights, and slightly less frigid and damp during the day. I would suggest somewhere along the southern coast, or maybe near ashland. Try not to die.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have just one final request to make of you: don't bring your dog into the backcountry (some exceptions apply, but not on your first time).

[/ QUOTE ]

????

My boxer loves to camp and can climb better than most humans. He just doesn't do well with cold water.

[/ QUOTE ]
In every instance I've seen of a dog in the backcountry its human companions have been less than aware of the responsibility that accompanies it. Not cleaning up waste properly, feeding the dog immediately outside the tent, or thinking I want to meet their dog. I also usually camp in grizzly country, and dogs can be trouble around bears.

You sound like a smart and experienced camper though; you are the kind of dog owner I'd prefer to see out there. I hope you make him carry his fair share though.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:26 AM

Wacki I disagree with your whole perspective on this. I grew up in Alaska and have done a ton of camping, multi day canoe trips, climbing, etc. On some of these trips we ha a guide and good equipment, but the vast majority were impromptou "hey lets go climb back into that range stay up there for a few days and ski everything we can find and who gives a [censored] if we dont have the right gear or really know what we are doing" trips. These are always the most fun.

A large percentage of the fun, for me at least, comes from having to figure out everything for yourself, and making due with what you have. I feel with all the best gear, and with reading books and lots of guides, that it feels a lot more like you are just following directions, kind of like an assignment, which isnt any fun. I don't have a problem with books and expensive gear in and of themselves, but I think the vast majority of people focus too much on these things and lose a lot of the individual experience.

For these reasons and others, I think inexperience can add a very positive challenge to overcome and at the very least will not take away from the trip. It will make his decisions a lot more real, which seems important to him from the original post.

Also, I don't think safety is a big issue. Even with almost no "outdoor" experience, you have to do something really dumb to put yourself in real danger if you are just hanging out in the same area and aren't too far from other people.