Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: KQo flop decision

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise here to try to fold the SB and because I might be ahead. If 3 bet, I fold. On the turn, I bet if checked to and then check the river through unimproved. If further aggression shown in the hand, I fold unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think you're ahead here that often. certainly not enough to warrant a raise. why do you want to shut out the sb when you're likely drawing to 2 pair/trips? i don't get it. once he 3-bets, you have to call because you're getting like a ton to 1. you basically charge yourself 1.5 bbs to draw instead of .5.

i'd just call here and fold the turn UI if he leads again. is that off?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the possibility that the modestly aggro villain is leading a weaker king?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is folding even on your list?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Didn't read original post clearly. I slightly prefer a raise b/c it'll make the turn/river easier to play as opposed to a call.

___1___
Old 08-04-2005, 03:31 AM

Default The Turn

So it seems that it is pretty split between raising and calling. I elected to call because I wasn't confident that I would be ahead enough. If I took any other line, I like the idea of raising and intending to put no more than 1BB more in, whether is be by calling a 3bet and folding the turn UI [actually only .5BB] or by betting the turn [folding to a c/r] and checking the river.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero...

As it stands with the way I played it, I figured this was the time to just give up and fold. If you raise the flop do you bet the turn or take the freecard figuring you are drawing? If the villian donkbets you again on the turn you give up there?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: The Turn

After raising the flop, I - fold to a donkbet, bet checked to.

Typically I check/fold the river after the turn bet
Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 AM

The BB is leading out into Two players, including the pre-flop raiser, this probably indicates quite a strong hand. Probably an ace or a king.

You can't fold the flop as you're getting 10:1 on a call, so you have the odds to improve. It's an option between calling and raising, I don't know which because I'm a donk.

Someone tell me what option to choose...

Steve Griff
Old 08-04-2005, 05:51 AM

Seems to me the best option was to raise. Would have probably seen a free turn card.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:19 AM

I doubt villain has a huge hand, since he would most likely go for the check raise if he did, unless he's clever enough to try to make you raise so he can 3 bet. He probably has something like A6 and is doing an "ace test" to see where he's at. But, that still means he has you drawing to 5 outs. Maybe raise the flop, check the turn, and see what happens on the river? Fold if it's not HU and possibly show down if it is, but I play bad.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:21 AM

I think UTG limping tells something of his level of play already, something like a weak sooted ace maybe? Or a PP. I think reraise and see how it plays out, but be prepared to fold unless they check to you or you improve.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:41 PM

See, by not raising this flop, you put yourself in a really bad position. He could have been leading the flop with something like a weaker king or a crappy Ace. A raise could have gotten you a free card. By calling, you have no idea where you're at and either lose money by calling down or folding the better hand.

Raise the flop.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think UTG limping tells something of his level of play already, something like a weak sooted ace maybe? Or a PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is limping with weak suited aces and PPs 66-22 so bad? I often do exactly that in 1/2 and 2/4 based on the SH PF chart that's been linked to before in this forum and can be found here. My criteria are the players behind me having low PFR and AF numbers. Does this get me into more trouble than it's worth?