Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 06-21-2005, 12:52 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Monitor or video card problem?

The visual on my home computer screen went all to [censored] at some point while I was sleeping last night. It looks similar to what it looks like in safe mode, only normal sized icons. Basically it appears to not have the full compliment of colors, as the bright colors are brighter and dark colors are darker than normal, but on a whole it appears very faded.

Does this make any sense? I can't really think of a better way to express it. I tried a screen print to show you what I'm talking about, but it looks normal, which I suppose makes sense.

Does this sound like a problem with my monitor or my video card? Both? Neither? Any and all help appreciated.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Monitor or video card problem?

have you considered you might be in safe mode? I believe if your computer spontaneously restarts (power outage?), your default boot is into safe mode.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

That was my initial thought, but I restarted a few times and got the same view.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:59 PM

And what happens when you adjust settings for resolution and color either by going to display in the control panel or right clicking on the desktop and choosing properties and then settings?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:03 PM

No difference other than the expected size changes.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:20 PM

Did you run your screen at a higher resolution than it was made for? Or higher refreshrate?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:55 PM

Well, I haven't changed either of those in > 2 years, but I admit to having no clue what the actual max specs are.

So is the general consensus that this is a monitor issue and has nothing to do with the video card?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Try adjusting the contrast on the monitor. Contrast is what makes dark darker and light lighter. Maybe it lost its settings, seen that happen.

By judging on the very little information I have I would think it is the monitor yes and not the graphics card. It is prolly a setting gone wrong only though.