Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Poker Paradoxes ?

[ QUOTE ]
Hence, in this particular game it is impossible to rank traditional poker hands in a fashion that gives us a continuous increase in hand power with hand rareness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I got that. But since we don't rank hands that way in the first place, why should we be worried that we can't? Why should we consider it a paradox at all?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was once told that in seven card it is more likely to end up with at least a pair then it is to have only a high card. I don't know how much truth their is to it but it may apply to this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 5 card poker hand has a tiny tiny percentage greater than 50% of only having a high card
Old 12-21-2004, 09:52 PM

We do rank hands like that in the first place, imo.

Sure, an ace-high straight is both the most common straight and the highest straight. Hoever, that's not how I look at it.
I look at it this way:

We have different "classes" of hands, ranked according to rareness:

Straight flushes
quads
pairs
N/A

And within each class, different hands are ranked according to the arbitrary "rank strength" of different cars. Arbitrary because there are four of each rank, but they are all of different worth.

In the above example, we have one of few examples where we cannot rank the classes according to rareness. No matter what we do, we will end up with a discrepancy. This is the only discrepancy I know of at a "class level" (other discrepancies occur on the sublevel, the one guided by the rank of the individual cards) that is unavoidable. There are however such discrepancies that CAN be avoided, but which are still in effect. For instance in soko/Canadian Stud/Scandinavian Stud where the bottom ranking goes pair<fourstraight<fourflush<two pair when it should be pair<two pair<fourflush<fourstraight.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:10 AM

An Ace high straight is just as common as a King high straight.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:32 AM

Even better--there are many fewer 7-high flushes than A-high flushes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But, yes, categories of hands are ranked from rarest to commonest. Ranking hands within categories is simply arbitrary.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:43 AM

Hehe, straights, what was I thinking?
I meant flushes of course.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the only discrepancy I know of at a "class level" (other discrepancies occur on the sublevel, the one guided by the rank of the individual cards) that is unavoidable.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is not one of the few, or the only one, it is one of the vast majority. There is no stable ranking of hands on the class level in seven card stud, in texas or omaha holdem, or in five card draw. In seven stud, pairs are more common than high card. But if you switch the rankings around, everyone will start calling their pairs as high card hands, making pairs rarer (non existant actually). You can switch the ranking back and forth and never reach stability. As hold'em is basically a seven stud variant, this holds there too. You have the same thing in five draw: after the draw pairs are more common than high card. But if you switch the rankings, everyone will start ditching their pairs at the draw, and pair will become less common than high card.

Any time you introduce enough choice into a poker game to affect the rankings, you'll have this situation. But the fact that changing the benefits of certain choices will change the choices that people make is not a paradox, it is just common sense.

So to say that we rank poker hands by the probability that they occur runs counter to observed practice. In practice, we rank poker hands by the probability that they will occur in five random cards with no wilds. Excluding, of course, games with non-standard hand rankings like three card guts.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:37 PM

While what you say about pairs being more common than no pair hands in 7CS is of course true, I still donīt think this is quite the same. In the case with the joker, we have this paradox regardless of what five cards we choose. The 7CS "paradox" only occurs because we have a larger number of cards to choose from.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:16 PM

That flashing banner ad on the top gave me an instant headache.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:14 AM

Sorry to hear about your headache. You can remove the flashing adverts by selecting "remonve advert" from next to the banner.