Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 PM

Default First Things First, flop decision

38/16/1.30 opens for a raise in the Hi-Jack, I 3-bet 88 in the SB.

Flop Q42 with 2 club. I bet 3-bet the flop. Standard?
Old 12-23-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: First Things First, flop decision

i hate the snowmen

I would check-raise the flop here with only one overcard, since it's almost certain he'll bet. If he doesn't, you may be able to take him down on the turn as a turn bet can have a reasonable chance of taking it down even if he called a check-raise representing a Q. Any reraising and I'm out.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 AM

I think your line is pretty standard, and probably the best one most of the time.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 AM

Certainly not standard. This is one of those situations where you have to mix it up. Your play is reasonable to take some of the time. But realize you have gone out on a limb with aggression here.

I think it's reasonable to sometimes fold when he raises your flop bet. And sometimes call, and sometimes raise like you did.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:14 AM

Assuming you 3 bet the flop and bet the turn. If rags come, do you bet the river? My guess is that this player will be betting the river with hands that beat you, so it is probably best to bet. Do you guys think that the villian will be checking better hands on the river?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you 3 bet the flop and bet the turn. If rags come, do you bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, u pretty much have to.
i like this just fine BTW...
Old 12-23-2005, 02:47 PM

OK so noone hates the flop...

Turn comes another Q.

I bet, opponent raises. Now I know the default play is to lay it down, but I cant help to think that he thinks that I think he has a queen and is trying to re-represent it with this card. Is it worth a few more big bets to see a showdown here?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:11 PM

i'm deeeefinitely seeing a showdown here. He could certianly have A4, 22-77, etc.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:58 PM

Can someone please explain to me what the advantage is of 3-betting rather than calling down when you're OOP?

Assuming AA-99 and any Q aren't folding no matter what you do, then the only hands that you want out that might fold to the 3-bet and turn bet-out are AJ-A9 and maybe AK. The 3-bet also gives you the initiative when you don't want it if you're up against a big hand (i.e., it's going to get you raised on the turn or, worse yet, the river), plus, if he's bluffing or semi-bluffing then the 3-bet lets him get away from the hand cheaply.

So when you're OOP with a weakish and vulnerable hand facing aggression shouldn't the default be to call down and probably fold if an A or K hits?

Also, doesn't the fact that you're almost always calling down in these situations negate much (not all, but much) of the exploitability that might otherwise result from such a passive approach?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me what the advantage is of 3-betting rather than calling down when you're OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

The advantage is that when you are winning, you not only get an extra bet in on the flop, but also prevent him from checking behind on the turn by keeping the pressure on.