Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 08-23-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Opinions in Hellmuth\'s million dollar system

Just wondering what's the popular opinions on Phil Hellmuth's million dollar system or something like that (sorry I don't have the video on front of me)

For those who doesn't know it, it's basically that you sit in limit game and play only

1. A-A
2. K-K
3. Q-Q
4. A-K suited
5. J-J
6. 10-10
7. 9-9
8. 8-8
9. A-Q suited
10. 7-7

Those are as he calls them Phil's top ten hands, IIRC. He instruct you to play them agressively (the higher it's ranked the more agressive you play them). He say that while you have no clue what you're doing you have the mathematical edge with those hands.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Phil, as a matter of fact he's one of my favorite player to watch (yet definitly not my top player overall) but that video just brought him down in my book.

What the hell, to me that was an OBVIOUS attempt at cashing out on the popularity that he has. Any noobs that see Phil Hellmuth's million dollars system will think he can win million playing poker, which is obviously not the fact.

I won't go any further, as I don't want to reveal the content of the video to all of you...perhaps potential buyers [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but I'll welcome comments on it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT : Corrected the list of hands I posted after verification...sorry.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Opinions in Hellmuth\'s million dollar system

Sounds like the same thing as his book "Play Poker Like a Pro".

It was the first poker book I read so it was a great book for me. It hammers you over the head with starting hand requirements...since that what newbies screw up the most.

Phil doesn't seem to let out too much advanced info. Take the DVD for what it's worth. If you only ever played those top-10 hands...you'd probably make money. You can learn how to play the rest as you go along.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:02 PM

I am more or less thinking that if you ever played only those hands as a new players you made tons of money cause you got lucky, you made a profit cause you had the edge against players that were starting out like you or you broke even and blamed the poker gods or you lost some.

I respect Hellmuth very much but that DVD just wasn't good for a serious player wanting to learn how to play and it can be vaguely be resumed in a few pages of a book. Still from the title it basically say that you can make million playing those hands, sure maybe you will since you have the mathematical edge...but will you accomplish it in a normal lifespan?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:06 PM

this book is pure crap. i hope it sells millions.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:12 PM

Really, I doubt any video/dvd is ever going to be anything other than the basics. The info in these dvds would fit in five or ten pages of a book. They're interesting to watch, and you might pick up a few tips, but if you're watching them as anything other than a raw beginner, you're not going to get much out of it.

I guess I can't bag on the dvd too hard because I have such low expectations anyway [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 10:20 PM

Funny thing is i read his book play poker like the pros nad played two tournaments using his system. Finshed 6th out of the money and 4th in the money. Knowing what i know now .....
Good book for a beginer who wants to play in vegas only. youll hold your own and still have some fun

In the book he also advises a-q off a-k off and a-j suited
Old 08-23-2005, 11:45 PM

You bought Phil's movie??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

ERBY [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 PM

Who said I bought it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I mean did you watch every TV poker shows of 2005 on TV with commercial...hint-hint...
Old 08-24-2005, 12:02 AM

I downloaded it expecting to make $1,000,000 but I stopped watching after 5 minutes. Atleast I got a cool animated gif out of the video. Feel free to make up any quote you want for it.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 AM

Was it only a year ago that I bought Phil's book and thought it was going to make me rich.

His 10 starting hands will prevent you from going broke if you're bankrolled but I think it's too tight from a hand selection perspective for Internet poker.

There are some concepts in the book which are helpful, such as how to put players in categories. The book is pretty good for beginners, but you'll need more info if you want poker to be profitable for you.