Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Marginal Hand - Hows my postflop play?

Still haven't played that much Omaha so I'm making mistakes like playing this hand preflop. Given that, how did I do postflop?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

Button ($14.35)
SB ($49.02)
BB ($9.5)
UTG ($48.75)
Hero ($94.5)
MP1 ($23.5)
MP2 ($27)
CO ($59.32)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.25</font>, CO calls $1.25, SB calls $1.25, BB folds, UTG folds.

I have a big stack, maybe they will all fold.

Turn: ($5) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

I'm thinking giving a free card was not great but I didn't want to make my decision on the river any harder with a bigger pot. Do you bet the turn? If so, how much. I picked up a gutshot too. Does that make it worth a bet now?

River: ($5) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, CO folds, SB calls $3.50.

I believe my hand is good and want a call here. If raised big, I lay this down vs the overset I'd guess. However, I'd expect more action if someone else hit a set.

I can understand why you fold this preflop. I'm having trouble when I hit something here. Maybe I'll play this kind of hand from the LP.

Final Pot: $12
Old 05-29-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Marginal Hand - Hows my postflop play?

I would have checked the river, 1 card to a straight is scary seeing as the draws weren't being charged to play... I would bet perhaps half the pot on the turn , and not because of the gutshot.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:01 AM

First, middle pair 88 with uncoordinated side cards is usually a fold for me in middle position preflop.

Your flop bet is fine.

On the turn, I would have potted it because T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] may not have made anybody a str8 if they were drawing with JT + flush draw. Giving a free card to a flush draw is a really bad idea. If you get check raised, then you know you are up against a made str8 and you can decided whether to call (you may have 13 outs)

River bet is fine.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:30 AM

You said you realize you shouldn't have played that hand to begin with and you're very right. I think you have to bet on the flop, even though bottom set can be scarry. As I was reading your post my thoughts were that you have to shut down if a 10, J, or Q come on the turn. However, it isn't certain someone made a straight and you don't want to give a free card, as joewatch pointed out. That's why this is such a tough hand to play out of position...even if you fill up you can't like your hand very much. On the river you can't bet out and you can only call to snap off a bluff. Your play on turn can go either way I think, but your best move would have been to avoid the situation. You can immediately help your postflop play by starting out with better hands and/or better position.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:42 PM

Yes, it became apparent that this hand is a pile of garbage. I appreciate the comments and thinking. I've got a way to go in Omaha. Fun game though.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:23 PM

I see a lot of people saying that this 2-gap hand is a fold for a 25cent limp.

If the table isnt too pre flop aggressive, I'd have to disagree.

Especially if you can let got of a second best set/str8 if you are put to the test.

Is this really a preflop fold?

jw
Old 06-02-2005, 06:42 PM

In early position, I think it is. On the button, probably playable by a good player.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see a lot of people saying that this 2-gap hand is a fold for a 25cent limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see many good flops for this hand other than J98, or 822-877.
The fact that it's "only" 25c shouldn't make any difference to you unless you are just playing for fun. Then you might as well limp in for lots of other marginal hands (maybe with VPIP of 50%). I think you can play this hand with position, but even then, I'm not expecting to make money long-term.