Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 06-05-2005, 10:34 AM

Default How to Fire Up the Game?

I've been playing PLO for a few months now and I'm loving both the game and my results. I'm not so keen on the variance.

But now I'm trying to evolve into a PLO super LAG, the kind of player who can be breaking everyone at the table and still have tons of people dying to get into his game. Everytime I start busting people the table soon breaks.

There are several very good players who will seemingly raise every pot, at least every pot they are going to play. Postflop they alternate between betting/folding to a raise, and stacking people. Tracking some of these guys tells me two things, that they are some of the biggest winners and enjoy the highest variance. I want in. I'll learn to deal with crazy variance if it's worth my while.

So, couple questions.

1. What kind of hands am I looking for to open-raise if I am employing this strategy? What sort of hands do I want to avoid?

2. This may be the more important concept I'm missing. What is it I need to realize about my opponent's play if I am using this strategy? In other words, how does my use of always potting it preflop change the hand values they will play back with? I'd love to hear some thoughts on this for preflop and postflop play.

I'm fairly certain we have a few posters who regularly employ this or a similiar strategy. I would especially appreciate hearing their comments.

Burno
Old 06-06-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: How to Fire Up the Game?

A couple random points...

1) this strategy only works (easily) against overly weak players... in those cases what you're really trying to do is optimize the amount of stealing you do so that you're making a little or breaking even on it... while setting yourself up for huge action when you get a legitimate hand.

2) It's going to make it far more important to make accurate opponent-specific reads. You're also going to have to figure out how differently your opponents are playing you, versus other players. The maniac often gets special treatment.

3) It's *really* difficult to be a smart LAG. If you pull it off well you'll be in fantastic shape, but it's not as simple as two pot-sized bets per hand.... if you make it that simple, you'll have huge variance... and a huge loss rate.

4) You say in your post that you're not keen on the variance. Playing as a LAG is going to kick that variance up a ton. It's going to make it much harder to determine if it's luck or skill at fault for wins and losses... but on the plus side, it will be far more interesting and challenging to play.