Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 03-06-2005, 01:48 AM

Default TP after a mnraise

awful regular minraises to 20 in the party 6max 1000PL.

i call in CO w AJdd button and blinds call.

flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB (unknown at the time) leads out for $100.

folded to you.

what is your plan?

fsuplayer
Old 03-06-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: TP after a mnraise

stack sizes? Call, pot the turn if he checks to you, or close to it? It's hard cause it's PL. If you had less than 600 I could see raising the pot on the flop...maybe...but with 1000 or more behind, it sucks getting in 30% of your money and having the turn brick...like i said before, one of the reasons where I think it's a little harder to play than NL and everyone wrote back like I was crazy...

Edit: Not that I frequently do it, but a minraise might slow him down if you are trying to get to showdown as cheap as possible...although he led right out of the SB it makes me think he is strong, so maybe with any luck he'll come back over the top and you can get your stack in.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:05 AM

sry, stacks are me 1400, villian 1300.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:27 AM

bump.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
awful regular minraises to 20 in the party 6max 1000PL.

i call in CO w AJdd button and blinds call.

flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB (unknown at the time) leads out for $100.

folded to you.

what is your plan?

fsuplayer

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate a mini-raise here because its begging to be reraised by either a flush draw or a better hand.

i would call and see what the turn brings and what his action is.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 AM

FSU, did you think about re raising pre flop to try and isolate the bad player?

The way the hand went down, I think you put yourself in a tough spot if you just call, but I'm not a fan of raising it either. I guess if I had to choose one I'd lean towards calling, knowing the sometimes I’m going to fold the turn to a flush draw or a hand like KJ.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:15 PM

Hmmm... Interesting hand. I initially thought that it a weird flush draw+pair type bet, but not I'm not so sure...

His range of hands is incredibly wide if he is a decent player (anywhere from a draw to a set) that it seems calling and waiting for the turn is the easiest line.

On the turn I don't like much aggression from him, if he pots it, I am probably gone...

I would consider betting/raising if his bet seems week, planning to check behind on the river.

Ugh, this hand is no fun... so many options. I'd like to hear how you played it out.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Call the flop, too many bad things can happen if you raise [1, you raise, he pushes with a draw. 2, you raise, he calls and leads out for the pot on a non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn. 3, you raise, he calls and leads out for the pot on a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q, 7 turn. 4, you raise, he calls and checks to you on a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn...]

I think this is a prime example where raising provides you with information that is not worth the price that you have to pay for it.

I would call the flop with the intention of calling the turn most of the time...

Interesting hand though.

-Steve
Old 03-07-2005, 04:35 PM

It doesn't seem correct to just flat-call the flop with what's probably the best hand, which is unlikely to improve, and a draw-heavy flop, with no read on your opponent. But I think that's the right play.

These multiple-draw boards against an unknown are tricky, so you have to use your position, and make it tricky for him as well. A call makes it look like you might have a draw, so if a scare card hits (and there are a ton of them), he knows he could be pissing into the wind, and should have a very tough time firing without a real hand.

So call the flop. And you should be able to just outplay him on the last two streets.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is a prime example where raising provides you with information that is not worth the price that you have to pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. I think you'll have a much better idea of where you stand on the turn. Incidentally - how did the rest of the hand play out?