Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Freerolling

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You are free-rolling when you have the current nuts and any draws that hit leave you with the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a good definition that is easily enough applied

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this definition, and it appears good, but it really isnt due to the fact that its impractical. Thats because if you have the nuts, you are going to be putting max bets in anyways, regardless of the freeroll.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You are free-rolling when you have the current nuts and any draws that hit leave you with the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a good definition that is easily enough applied

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this definition, and it appears good, but it really isnt due to the fact that its impractical. Thats because if you have the nuts, you are going to be putting max bets in anyways, regardless of the freeroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have thought about it more as well and I think it is easier applied to OH than hold 'em, where you would NOT be putting in max bets with a flopped str8 with a flush draw on the board. As for hold 'em.....I got nothing.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:02 AM

Doyle defined this situation as a freeroll (in SS)

You and your opponent both have the nut flush. 89 in the pocket, with 567 on the board. However, you have four to a flush. You are now freerollin' to the flush.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:21 AM

You don't need to have the nuts to be freerolling. Suppose you have A7 and the board is A55Q. If your opponent has A2, you are freerolling him as he has no chance to win the whole pot while you win with any Q or 7.

It's not very important in hold'em, because there aren't many split pots, and the idea of freerolling can only apply when the pot is likely to be split. If you are playing stud8 or o8 you will recognize the situations where you are only playing for half the pot.