Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-31-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Conditional Suffrage?

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously since we extol winner-take-all in poker (other than those hi/lo heathens), then it can't be bad for elections.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's good for poker, it must be good for elections??? Brilliant.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Janus

[ QUOTE ]
Oh please.

He said that "crimes" and "illegal acts" were not the same thing. I looked up the definition of "crime" and the first definition clearly said that a crime was an illegal act.

He retorts by saying "oh, look at the OTHER definition - it mentions morality! That means illegal acts are not crimes!"

I'm clearly right here. Stop grasping at straws.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of you is using a definition of "crime" and "criminal" that makes Jews hiding from Nazis criminals and the Nazis gassing them to death not criminals, and the other is not.

I know which definition I prefer.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of you is using a definition of "crime" and "criminal" that makes Jews hiding from Nazis criminals and the Nazis gassing them to death not criminals, and the other is not.

I know which definition I prefer.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a thread about imposing a realistic, fair system to ensure that most people who are incompetent to vote for a candidate for public office are eliminated, gets hijacked into a "drugs should be legal" thread, turns into a nit-picking of words, and now we have someone whining about Nazis and changing the definitions of words to whatever is most convenient for him.

Wow.

Thread: RIP
Old 12-31-2005, 01:37 PM

Are you really that bad at following your own thread?

Oh, and by the way, this is priceless:

[ QUOTE ]
So a thread about imposing a realistic, fair system to ensure that most people who are incompetent to vote . . . are eliminated . . .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-31-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and by the way, this is priceless:

[ QUOTE ]
So a thread about imposing a realistic, fair system to ensure that most people who are incompetent to vote . . . are eliminated . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, since I was obviously talking about killing them en masse.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In practice, I think such a system could be easily manipulated, as the "literacy tests" in the southen states were to exclude black people from voting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because "literacy tests" in the South were designed to exclude and there was nobody around to prevent that from happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, your proposed "competence test" is NOT designed to exclude people from voting???
Old 12-31-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said that "crimes" and "illegal acts" were not the same thing. I looked up the definition of "crime" and the first definition clearly said that a crime was an illegal act.

He retorts by saying "oh, look at the OTHER definition - it mentions morality! That means illegal acts are not crimes!"

I'm clearly right here. Stop grasping at straws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because the only "correct" definition of a word is the one that fits your personal desire.

Do you believe that legislators, no matter how they come into power, are infallible?
Old 12-31-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In practice, I think such a system could be easily manipulated, as the "literacy tests" in the southen states were to exclude black people from voting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because "literacy tests" in the South were designed to exclude and there was nobody around to prevent that from happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, your proposed "competence test" is NOT designed to exclude people from voting???

[/ QUOTE ]

My competence test is not designed to unfairly exclude people on the basis of race, like the southern "literacy tests" were.

Please refrain from taking what I say out of context.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, because the only "correct" definition of a word is the one that fits your personal desire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all things that are crimes should be crimes; however, by definition, they are.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you believe that legislators, no matter how they come into power, are infallible?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. What's that got to do with the basic, most commonly used definition of a word?
Old 12-31-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My competence test is not designed to unfairly exclude people on the basis of race, like the southern "literacy tests" were.

Please refrain from taking what I say out of context.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was out of context? The old tests were designed to exclude people that were disfavored by those in power. Your proposed test is designed to exclude people that you personally don't favor. The people they sought to exclude and the people that you seek to exclude were defined by different criteria, to be sure, but the goal is effectively the same.