Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 12:40 AM

Default $200 PLO8 standard play?

UTG is approaching maniacal at 70/17/3, but over a small sample. In my ~25 hands with this opponent, he has never shown down a bluff or been particularly aggressive on the river, although he is capable of limping with anything.

SB is weak-tight (22/0/0) and a postflop calling station.

Party Poker PL Omaha Hi/Lo - $200 (7 handed) handconverter.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls [$2], 3 folds, Button calls [$2], SB calls [$1], Hero checks.

Flop: ($7.60) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets [$7.60], UTG calls [$7.60], Button folds, SB 2 calls [$7.60].

Turn: ($29.30) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets [$29.30], UTG calls [$29.30], SB calls [$29.30].

River: ($115.70) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets [$115.70], SB calls [$115.70], Hero calls.

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">

UTG shows [ 8c, Ah, Ad, Kd ] a flush, ace high.
SB shows [ Ac, 2d, 9s, 3c ] a pair of nines.
SB shows 8,7,6,2,A for low.
Hero doesn't show [ 3d, Jd, 2s, Jc ] a flush, jack high.
Hero doesn't show 8,7,6,3,2 for low.
UTG wins $231.40 from the main pot with a flush, ace high with ace kicker.
SB wins Lo ($231.40) from the main pot with 8,7,6,2,A.</font>

I was very surprised. SB made an atrocious turn call and UTG was nice enough to slowplay the nut flush on the turn. I like the flop and turn (I want those low outs and I have a big hand with redraws, right?), but I'm torn on the river. I cannot find a fold, especially when the pot bet on the end comes from a seeming LAG, but I ended up overcalling the Hi and Lo hands which feels awful.

It's been a frustrating day (though somehow I'm still in the black)...how did I do here?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: $200 PLO8 standard play?

check-call the turn
Old 08-09-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check-call the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being a smart ass. You may be right but please explain why check the turn? You are giving low a chance to draw for free. There is a better chance that they are drawing for low rather then having a higher flush and you have a great redraw.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:31 AM

Check/call the turn. Otherwise, the nut flush might drive you out of the pot when you have a redraw. Check/folding would be OK if you weren't up against a lag. I'd fold the river, hard to imagine you are ahead for even half the pot. If it was heads up, a call would be more reasonable.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:09 AM

OK, should this be obvious? The reasoning makes plenty of sense, but how much do you value forcing out a better law draw? If UTG bets pot and I overcall, does this become a fold on the river UI?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold the river, hard to imagine you are ahead for even half the pot. If it was heads up, a call would be more reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the chances that both players are getting out of line with the Hi or the Lo, and I'm taking a full side? Should I really be so worried about low - UTG can hold anything in my book, and SB probably shouldn't have the raw A2 on the river that he had, right (I mean, the implied odds worked out, but certainly that's a poor idea)?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check-call the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being a smart ass. You may be right but please explain why check the turn? You are giving low a chance to draw for free. There is a better chance that they are drawing for low rather then having a higher flush and you have a great redraw.

[/ QUOTE ]

check call the turn.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check-call the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should've been raised on the turn by the nut flush, who is evidently a retard. You would've had to either give up on the hand or try drawing to the boat, whereas by check-calling you can draw to the boat much more cheaply. You really can't call any river bet with just a J-high flush though, especially as an overcaller.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:32 AM

Should he check and pot-raise the flop with four players in the pot?

I guess it's player dependent.