Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Anyone tired?

Just checking if anyone out there has gotten tired of Poker and taken a break? If so how long was the break and what made you come back?

Just a little history so that you understand that this is not a bad beat type story. I play in a couple of home games for a total of 5 or 6 times a month. It is with a group of friends and we keep stats of our finishes for our "player of the year" award. I am currently second on that list and I have been pretty consistent all year long.
It is just that lately I just don't feel like playing or really talking that much about poker. I remember that not to long ago, the day after one of our games was usually spent talking about hands and plays with some of my closest friends.

I even have a couple of Card Player magazines still in the plastic bag they came in where as before I would read them cover to cover within a few days.

So I guess the passion and excitement of poker has worn off and I was wondering if that has happen to some of you 2+2ers and if you have any advise?
Old 07-23-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Anyone tired?

I thought I had grown tired of the game at one time. Even when I was winning, it just stopped seeming like a big deal to be playing.

For me, it turned out to be a lack of motivation. When I first started playing, I had goals to become a top-notch player, and those goals were the driving force in my readings, discussions, and gameplay. My first goal was to be the best player in my town. I wanted to have the highest winrate in as many games as possible(since there are many regular games in my area). But my motivation must have faded from memory as I slowly began to be tired of the game, probably partly due to an ugly downswing and many tough beats.

So I sat down one night before going to play, and I asked myself, "Why do I play poker?" For a little while I wasn't sure. Was it the money, the competition, or what? Then I realized why the game had become uninteresting... because I no longer had an end in mind. I was just playing the game, not really thinking about where it might take me. Then I remembered my goal, to become a top-notch player, and that all started with becoming the best player in my area. Suddenly, I couldn't wait to play.

I probably played the best tournament I've played in a long time that night. So I guess what you need to ask yourself is, why do you play poker? Without any goals, even one as simple as having alot of fun with some friends, it's hard to be motivated to play. I'd recommend taking some time to think about your reasons for playing, and even think about why you started, and then you should be able to decide whether or not it is a game worth playing for you.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:10 AM

A couple of days to a week break usually does it for me. These breaks are mostly breaks from online poker, as I still play poker but live.

If you're doing this for a living, great. That's one of the perks of the job, giving yourself breaks/vacations. Everyone needs 'em sooner or later and eventually on a consistant basis.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:17 PM

You have some very good points R_Ellender.
I am not sure why I play now; the problem is I am not sure why I played before, so I don't know what changed. In your situation you had a goal and when you realized that you were drifting away from your goal you got back on course. I didn't have a goal. I guess since I am competitive, I of course wanted to win and the money is nice too but I can't say that is why I played. I just don't know...

Anyone else out there going through a poker slump? And please keep in mind that this is not result orientated since I have finished in the money 3 out of the last 6 times (one first and 2 thirds) and I have been doing well all year long. (See my original post)

Thanks in advance,

Guernica
Old 07-23-2005, 08:47 PM

I play about every day. For me, the longer break I take from the (virtual) tables, the harder it is for me to get back into playing mode. I have to restrict it to a day or two, or it's way too easy to slack off for a long run.

That being said, it's very easy for me to tire of live games. Just not a big fan. Even the usual rockin' home game or super-soft tables at the local cardroom can make me quickly lose interest.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:21 PM

What gets me sick of poker is how a lot of my friends who also play feel the need to tell me about every hand that they play. "Oh, let me tell you about this hand..." has become a regular lunchtime topic at work. These are typically people who I wouldn't go to for advice about poker.

I also find it really hard to play the $5-$10 winner-take-all tournaments that my friends sometimes have. I know it's just for fun, but I can't seem to turn off my poker instincts and just have a good time. What I mean is that poker isn't a reason to "hang out with the boys" anymore. I'd much rather be doing something else with them.

Thanks for hearing me out. Comments welcome.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:35 PM

I found that it was taking up too much of my life and I really wasn't getting any emotional fulfillment from it. I quit online a month ago, and have been finding more interesting things to do with my time.

I'll probably go back to playing once the novelty has worn back on. In the mean time, I think I'll cash out all my winnings and maybe spend some time writing a book called "Watching Paint Dry" about playing winning online poker.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess the passion and excitement of poker has worn off and I was wondering if that has happen to some of you 2+2ers and if you have any advise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Advice?

If you're sick of poker, stop playing poker.

When you decide you miss it and you want to play again, play again.

Is there anything wrong with this line?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Advice?

If you're sick of poker, stop playing poker.

When you decide you miss it and you want to play again, play again.

Is there anything wrong with this line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the reraise on the Turn it looks ok to me.

PairTheBoard
Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just checking if anyone out there has gotten tired of Poker and taken a break? If so how long was the break and what made you come back?

Just a little history so that you understand that this is not a bad beat type story. I play in a couple of home games for a total of 5 or 6 times a month. It is with a group of friends and we keep stats of our finishes for our "player of the year" award. I am currently second on that list and I have been pretty consistent all year long.
It is just that lately I just don't feel like playing or really talking that much about poker. I remember that not to long ago, the day after one of our games was usually spent talking about hands and plays with some of my closest friends.

I even have a couple of Card Player magazines still in the plastic bag they came in where as before I would read them cover to cover within a few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like the way things are going with my friends ... we both play 5-6 times a month, have a player of the year race going, and talk about poker non-stop. Ours has died down, too. I think you guys should start playing some different games if you havent already ... like Stud or O/8. That might get things going again.

BTW, where do you live?