Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Lou Kreiger on the biggest hold em mistake

What is the biggest mistake hold em players make? According to Lou Kreiger, in his book more hold em excellence, it is getting in KICKER TROUBLE.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Lou Kreiger on the biggest hold em mistake

[ QUOTE ]
What is the biggest mistake hold em players make? According to Lou Kreiger, in his book more hold em excellence, it is getting in KICKER TROUBLE.

[/ QUOTE ]

For Lou I thought it was writing a book about hold'em in the first place, so people now know he doesn't know what he is talking about in that game.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2005, 05:22 PM

As in, "you just bought my book and you lost on the 2+2 kicker"?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if he's talking about full-ring games. And even then, I don't know it's the BIGGEST mistake you can make.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Only if he's talking about full-ring games. And even then, I don't know it's the BIGGEST mistake you can make.

[/ QUOTE ]

The *most common* mistake players make is not considering position when deciding which hands to play. Understanding position is the biggest difference between a winning player and a losing player.

That being said, I'd say the *worst* mistake a player can make is whatever mistake he consistently makes that is costing him money, and keeps doing it because he doesn't realize it is a mistake. It could be not defending the blinds, not value-betting, not calculating pot odds / implied odds properly, playing too many speculative hands, not raising to thin the field, cold-calling too many pre-flop raises, slow-playing AA or KK, or playing Ax too often and getting outkicked at showdown... everyone's "biggest" mistake is different.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The way you get into kicker trouble on a consistent basis is by taking weak cards to battle, i.e., playing too loosely. If you hit 1 pair with J8, you always have to worry about your kicker. You never have kicker trouble with AK. Playing too loosely is a very common and expensive error, though I don't know I would say it is the biggest.

Once you see the flop and hit TPWK, you usually shouldn't give it up easily.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:51 PM

your avatar is disturbing
Old 02-18-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your avatar is disturbing

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the biggest mistake hold em players make?

[/ QUOTE ]

Holdem is about making money. Therefore the biggest mistake players make will cost them the most money. Therefore the biggest mistake is folding the best hand in a large pot.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore the biggest mistake players make will cost them the most money. Therefore the biggest mistake is folding the best hand in a large pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't mean the mistake that is biggest per individual time you make it; he means the mistake that adds up to the biggest loss over the long run. Obviously, folding a winning hand once in a huge pot will be more costs than playing an outkicked hand once, but that is fairly uninteresting and irrelevent. The interesting thing is the biggest mistake in terms of hurting your hourly win/ loss rate. If you think that the biggest mistake most poker players make is folding too much, then I think you have a very, very, very inaccurate view of poker.