Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 05:13 AM

Default what did i do wrong?

Sitting at the 40/80 in commerce aka maniac loose aggressive limit in the club. UTG I have AA and raise,everybody folds to the cutoff who three bets ( I play with his wife regularlly in the 100-200 game there and from the short time I have played with him in the past he is a pretty tight unimaginative player which is not so bad at the limit he is playing.) So I had the 100-200 mentallity of just calling him and maximizing on later rounds. Ooops this is the 40 at the commerce so by the time the smoke cleared the SB and the BB both called as now I capped it and we saw a flop of J 10 7. SB checked and BB led out. I thought that my raise here would be useless as there was 8 and a half big bets in the pot and my raise is not likely to get the cutoff off his hand which most likely are KK,AK,QQ,AQ (maybe JJ, or AA) but he called as did the small blind so the later was unlikely for he would raise with a set and or the other AA. The turn came a 7 which was a good card for me because it would counterfit J 10 and gave me the best possible two pair. The BB led out again and now I thoght the correct play was to raise and I did. For I cutt down the cuttoffs odds of drawing to a better hand and also with a pair on board he could be drawing dead,and if he did have a set of jacks he would in turn raise and now I'm done with the hand.He folded as didtheSB the BB reraised what do Idonow?I called thinking I might have 2 Aces left in the deck and maybe 2 sevens for the best ,any advise? I knew I was in trouble and given the pot size I believe i made a 50/50 call or fold,again need advise? the river came off a blank and I called as I wAS SORT OF CURIOUS AND HE SHOWED ME 9,10. I know it was a bad call on the river given the hand and the way it played the aces were no good but I have busted myself and the 40 players at the club are the type which go out of their way trying to beat "the pro", and knowing I will be playing at this limit for a little while I wanted to see what I was up against. Any thoughts of how differently I should have played the hand?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: what did i do wrong?

Welcome to the forum....

first, your description sounds like you lost but the cards you describe have you winning. Did he have 89 (not 9T)? All villain has is a pair of tens?

Call down from the turn re-raise (or fold if you can trust the read). You have odds to hit 2xA - or 2x7 which may be good. Call it 3 outs, you have about 15 in the pot, close decision. So probably call it down, if he is tight-unimaginative then you could fold the river. But, good thing you called because he is (assuming he had 89o) is rather more imaginative than you gave him credit for!
Old 12-27-2005, 05:53 AM

89 was the hand and the 3bet came from the cuttoff who is not imaginative, the BB had the straight
Old 12-27-2005, 08:46 PM

Repost this so it sounds less like you're a coke fiend, and if you think he'll call the flop raise with the range of hands you gave, then raise the flop!

I gave up trying to read your post after that point.

BTW: periods = good! run on sentences = baaaad
Old 12-27-2005, 11:08 PM

hi.

welcome to the boards.

please use punctuation and easily readable formatting and you'll get many many more responses.

thanks and GL at the tables.

Barron
Old 12-28-2005, 02:36 AM

When I cap preflop UTG and now a blind bets into me, and then he bets into me again on the turn, I consider that he may want to get raised. It's a peculiar bet with three (four?) opponents.

If BB had a straight, and there was $1280 in the pot when you were 3-bet on the turn, and you're going to call down unimproved on the river 50% of the time and win an average of $120 on the river when you do improve, calling the 3-bet on the turn is the same EV as folding.