Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-27-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Slowing down with the wheel

Say you have A3xx in the BB with one caller

Board is 2459Q with no flush possible

You both check flop, you bet turn, he raises, you 3-bet, he caps. Check/call on the river or ever a time to jam if this guy is LAGGY? What if you decide to bet flop and it gets capped on flop? Check/call down with no redraw?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Slowing down with the wheel

A63x and you're dead meat, or is this MUB syndrome?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:17 PM

Not sure what MUB syndrome is. Geneal ?, yeah, I suspect that exact holding a lot of the time though, but I've been surprised.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:25 PM

Monsters under the bed.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:36 PM

Burd,

This is a call for me as well uless I have a 6 in my hand to go with it. Then I raise until the raise button is broken on my computer.

Dave
Old 10-27-2005, 05:03 PM

Burdz - You evidently made the wheel on the turn, right?

If so, I think you have to put your opponent on either a wheel (same as you), a six-high straight (in which case you also split the pot), or both a wheel and a six-high straight (in which case you get quartered).

The prudent play is to check/call the river because the distinct possibility of your opponent having both a wheel and a six-high-straight is greater than the possibility your opponent, even if seemingly clueless, was jamming with nothing after the turn.

Buzz
Old 10-27-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Burdz - You evidently made the wheel on the turn, right?

If so, I think you have to put your opponent on either a wheel (same as you), a six-high straight (in which case you also split the pot), or both a wheel and a six-high straight (in which case you get quartered).

The prudent play is to check/call the river because the distinct possibility of your opponent having both a wheel and a six-high-straight is greater than the possibility your opponent, even if seemingly clueless, was jamming with nothing after the turn.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously so.
There isn't a hand in poker on a 2459Q board that an opponent will 3 bet that A3 wins more than half the pot. This is why you do not raise.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:42 PM

Actually no, in both hands I described I speak of flopping the wheel. At least at 5/10 and higher it seems opponents without the wheel or 6-High straight will give you credit for a big hand and fold when you lead out on a board like 245, 235, or A45. Limited experience I know, even the LAGgy players show this respect, though. Therefore, I don't automatically bet my wheel (which is a mistake, how large I'm not sure) if there's no flush draw on board and I'm HU. Depends on the opponent and my position. Obviously I don't want them catching runners for a flush or higher straight, but I didn't think sandbagging the wheel Hu was terrible, if it is then chime right in, I need as much help as possible.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Re:Checking the flop with a wheel. IMO,it is better to reserve the sandbag for situations where they can improve to a second best, playable hand. In Omaha, it is just too dangerous to give free cards. Make them pay to try to improve their set, draw to a higher straight, or receive a counterfitting card to share a wheel with you.