Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-16-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: So really what\'s the problem with playing alot of poker?

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I am appalled at how anti-poker this forum is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly certain most posters here like poker.

[ QUOTE ]
You will NEVER be great at anything without making it an obsession in your life. Do you think Tiger Woods only plays a couple hours every 2-3 days?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is only my opinion, but I think that comparing playing online poker with elite athletes practicing their golf swing or jump shot is a major stretch. If you are arguing that poker SHOULD be an obsession in your life, then I disagree. Obsession with a gambling game is not healthy.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:28 AM

I never said it was healthy. In fact, its prolly not the best thing for your health. Let me ask you this, do you think a great football coach like Belicheck or Parsell (i know spelling is wrong) have great marriages and are really healthy in their personal lives? How could they when they spend all their time thinking about and working on their teams?

Indy
Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 AM

Default If you think about it constantly, your relationships suffer,

and your studies/work suffer, you have a problem.

Poker as a gambling addiction is tricky because, if you are a winner, you are actually making money at something unhealthy. It would be like being addicted to crack when the rock made you taller, stronger, and better looking. What's the problem?

The problem is if it takes up an increasing amount of your time, energy, and thought, even away from the tables, you have an unhealthy obsession. It can still wreck your life.

The lack of understanding of how addiction works around here is really weird. I took a real hard look at how poker was affecting my life when I started playing regularly, and how gambling addiction works. Dr. Al has some posts/articles on the topic. Check them out.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me ask you this, do you think a great football coach like Belicheck or Parsell (i know spelling is wrong) have great marriages and are really healthy in their personal lives? How could they when they spend all their time thinking about and working on their teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't. Most of them have time away like anybody else. Just because they're better doesn't mean they can't step back. You are suggesting the recipe for success is behavior that leads to unahppiness. Project much?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 AM

I don't know about unhappiness, but the behaviors that are the healthiest don't seem to make you the most "successful" as it is usually defined. Just look at how many divorces and problems that "successful" people have. Jack Welch, Bob Dole, etc...

Indy
Old 08-16-2005, 12:15 PM

Nah, be the silly drunk every time
Old 08-16-2005, 01:01 PM

Alot is actually "a lot".

Just a grammatical pet peeve.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker as a hobby is more productive than playing video games, watching tv, or shooting pool.

But don't shortchange the frat parties, the social skills you'll pick up are priceless. Don't be the silly drunk, be the guy thats dancing, etc with the girls!

[/ QUOTE ]

Honing your social skills and just maintaining your social life is really really important, its easy to isolate yourself
Old 08-16-2005, 08:38 PM

lol you can still keep yoru social life and play poker 5 hours a day.... if every day i go to class and get out of class hang out with friends for most the day and then go home at like 10pm i can still play from 10-3pm in my room before going to sleep.... that's playing ALOT of poker and it still doesnt drain your day. But Indiana has a GREAT point, for people who want to be great at something, they spend LOTS of time at it. Professional gamers at stuff like starcraft or counterstrike play the game obsessively. Basketball players live and breathe basketball. A successful lawyer can isolate himself into his job and spend LOTS of time at it if he wants to become extremely successful. Think about people who are great at anything... and ask yourself do you think they only did it casually and kept a balance with everything else in their life.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:35 AM

ok i obviously meant 10pm to 3am