Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 07:55 PM

Default HOH 2, WILL THIS RUIN POKER?

After reading HOH 2, I am amazed at the amount of info it provides and the though occured to me that this info could be the end of NL tourny poker as we know it. Books one and two are so good that even a novice can read them and have a good grasp on how to beat the game.

I for one will be putting more time into Omaha as it is now only a matter of time until hold'em will be another 7 card stud.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: HOH 2, WILL THIS RUIN POKER?

SSHE is the same way, if you ask me, yet the games are still great..
Old 07-04-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After reading HOH 2, I am amazed at the amount of info it provides and the though occured to me that this info could be the end of NL tourny poker as we know it. Books one and two are so good that even a novice can read them and have a good grasp on how to beat the game.

I for one will be putting more time into Omaha as it is now only a matter of time until hold'em will be another 7 card stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? How many fishes do you think are interesting in reading poker books?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:16 PM

This reminds me of a post today by a nother well intentioned, but equally wrong poster in micro talking about the need to shift gears in the Party .5/1 game b/c those guys are analysing you on thier PT data and PV/GT.

Seriously dude, most people just watch poker on TV and think they are experts. Most do not have the intellectual discipline to to study enough to get good enough to beat the game.

That being said, if HoH1 is any indication, HoH2 is probably priceless. HoH1 has payed for itself for me several times over.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:19 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you serious? How many fishes do you think are interesting in reading poker books?

Listen, how can the pro's compete as most people who are entering large events are net qualifiers who read most books on the subject. Where is their edge now? No one on this site ever talked about a M or a Q or red, organge zone until this came out. Heads up stratagy is worth the price of the book alone.

No it will not ruin the internet or b and m play but how long will it last when a bunch of unknowns start making final tables instead of pros. Harrington is older and wiser and is making a bundle by writing these books. In a way it could be his way of having the last laugh as he is now heading to retirment while others are just starting to make thier mark. Just wondering if this same thing happened when Super System was first released.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No it will not ruin the internet or b and m play but how long will it last when a bunch of unknowns start making final tables instead of pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unknowns have been making final tables for thirty years.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:52 PM

I totally agree. EVERY 2+2ER SHOULD NEVER PLAY HOLDEM AGAIN.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:56 PM

Let me explain it this way, once a magician's tricks are revealed it raises the bar to come up with a whole new bag of tricks as the audience(fish) will know what he is doing and no longer be fooled. He can come up with new tricks or he is now a dinasaur in his trade.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:14 PM

Eric, I never said that people should stop playing. I said NL tourny poker will never be the same. Take time to read a post before flaming me. I am not a troll and have used this forum to improve my game like most others. I love reading and have read most 2+2 books along with others and feel that HOH 1+2 are the best on NL ever. The strategy is very complex and anyone willing to put in serious time can learn fairly quickly what took most people years to learn.

I have already won one big tourny after filling the many leaks to my tourny strategy. I am a limit player who plays 100 home tourneys with 30+ players and though I usually finished in the money I never understood how to finish it out. There are many on this forum who put in as much time as I do and it won't be long that many pros will have to adjust and find new tricks or be left in the middle of the pack. The bar has been raised. How long until the game is mastered by so many that it comes down to a good run instead of pure skill? How long until the pros simply move to ring games where the games are still soft because the tournys are full of sharks? How long until the holdem boom ends? Its never too early to learn a game to be ahead of the curve!!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:25 PM

Your logic is severely flawed. TOP and HPFAP have been around for years. If every limit holdem cash game player read and UNDERSTOOD them, there wouldn't be any profitable games. So why are there still good games?

1 - Poker is a gambling game. Not everyone plays for profit, no matter what they say.

2 - Just because someone has read a book, doesn't mean they have incorporated all or any of the skills and ideas from the book into their game. You still need to have playing experience and an understanding of how to execute each idea. I hear morons in the chat window constantly talking about how "TOP says AQ is a very marginal hand, and you shouldn't raise it preflop." Or "such and such book says you shouldn't bet a draw in a multiway pot." Most people don't make the effort to learn, they just move their eyes over the words and think they've become a great player because they read some book.

3 - Poker is a game of male egos. Many of them don't think they need to read books or study the game at all to be a good player.