Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 PM

Default 77 Button

20/40 live, I am on the button and find 77. All fold to hijack and he raises. Villian is very young kid mostly TAG, but can be pushed off of hands. I have seen him make some big laydowns. He thinks he is the best player in the building but can be ABC. He most likely isn't a loser in the game. We have played twice before and I have seen him wait until the turn to raise overpairs several times.
Range:
A8s,A9s,A10s,...
A10o,AJo,...
KQ and 55 or better.
I call on button with 77 and BB calls.

3 to flop (3.5BB)
10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, Villian Bets, I... raise?
BB folds, Villian asks "are you overplaying your hand?", stares me down and calls. I sense he indeed holds a monster at this point and is looking to checkraise the turn.

Headsup to Turn (5.5BB)
10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
it goes check check

River (5.5BB)
7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

he checks, I bet, he checkraises, I 3 bet, he calls.
He does not show but makes it clear he had me beat by uttering some EV comment and calls me a donkey.

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: 77 Button

The pre-flop call sucks badly. With these small pocket pairs you want to 3 bet and hope to win a race against overcards or fold. Against a winning player you might want to fold and play your money against a live one. You might also want to repost the hand here as I'm not sure this gets posted if you don't spike a 7 on the river.

The flop play was good.

You should have bet the turn. This is an easy fold if you get raised.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 PM

3 bet pre-flop, if you raise the flop like you did follow through on the turn and check behind on teh river is usually a good line.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:51 PM

you bet the turn even if you are 95% sure you are beat? I was going to follow through on the turn until he opened his mouth.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you bet the turn even if you are 95% sure you are beat? I was going to follow through on the turn until he opened his mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, then you're right. If you were that sure you were beat then yeah, checking is the right play.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Posts like this will get moved next week...

FYI i think these are the posts that will be getting moved after the week or so grace period.

this is played live 20/40 by a player that has proabably recently moved up/started playing higher and is not used to short handed settings like all fold to a TAG int he hijack.

this kid seems VERY tight imo. you might want to fold 77 if you dont want to raise it. calling is bad here.

personally i would find an ex ante fold here (not because of what he held but because of how tight he seems based on your description and how he plays postflop). in fact, given the info on him we learn from the hand i think this is a fiarly straightforward fold since you are either vastly crushed pf or slightly ahead. if you're behind you are unlikely to win by 3betting and taking control unless he's WEAK and TAGish (meaning your full fledged TAG read was off).

BK, you say 3bet. how sure ofo this are you (how close do you think it is given the villian's description and postflop actions here).

the postflop play of this hand is also standard assuming your read was correct on the opponent on the flop. otherwise you must bet turn fold to a c'r.

so please post futher 20/40 posts in MEDIUM STAKES and not higher stakes.

thanks.

Barron
Old 11-28-2005, 07:58 PM

I agree preflop. I reached for 3, but for some reason the brain and hand disconnected. I was looking more for turn comments. Sorry for posting in wrong forum. Didn't know 20/40 moved there.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:59 PM

The player was giving a weak tell on the flop, not a strong tell.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Posts like this will get moved next week...

Not all that sure and if he'd raised utg I would have folded. I dunno. I often default to 3 betting, especially live as I like playing hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Whether I can for positive play it for a profit is mb up in the air a little.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:17 AM

THREEBET PREFLOP, it will still reach the same conclusion without giving the chance for BB to hit a 10J flop.
You threebet, bb folds, monster calls. Monster check calls. You, making amazing read, check the turn behind him, then nail your 7 on the river.

Same hand, cept if he has AK you don't give BB a chance to get there with 10x Jx.