Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Default A tricky one

40-80 5 handed

1 fold, CO limps, I raise Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on button, SB folds, BB calls, CO calls.

K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
check, check, I bet, both call

turn Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
bet, raise, I 3bet, both call.

river 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
bet, raise, hero ???

BB just sat down never seen him, CO seems decent but overaggro was in this particular hand with him not too many hands ago; UTG raise, he 3bet, I capped red queens preflop. Flop rags, he bet into me and I raised, turn rag and he bet again I raised, river K and i called to see AKo with no draws.

comments on turn and river?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: A tricky one

I think it's rough if BB turns over 910o, but I think you should call here.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:46 PM

Interesting. It's possible that one of them is playing T9 this way, but it's fairly unlikely. What is more likely is that CO has K4. BB is tougher to pinpoint, but your hand is very strong, even given all the action so far.

I would 3-bet the river.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:24 PM

You have to call, but you don't have to like it too much.

I think putting more money into the pot than you have to at this point, is well, pointless.

You did everything right on the turn imho.

I think you still should have the best hand on the river, did you find out if the 4 actually improved anyone's hand??

cheers. J.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. It's possible that one of them is playing T9 this way, but it's fairly unlikely. What is more likely is that CO has K4. BB is tougher to pinpoint, but your hand is very strong, even given all the action so far.

I would 3-bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with this quote, if anyone had a straight they likely wouldve capped the turn. I would 3 bet the river also. If T9 is actually out there, then you probably wont be capped since you werent capped on the turn. This means that you dont even have to fear a reraise if you are beat, which makes raisin the river even more correct IMO.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with this quote, if anyone had a straight they likely wouldve capped the turn. I would 3 bet the river also. If T9 is actually out there, then you probably wont be capped since you werent capped on the turn. This means that you dont even have to fear a reraise if you are beat, which makes raisin the river even more correct IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

The possibility that one of the two has T9o and wanted to see a safe river card before putting more bets in since there are draws out there and the board could also pair and that I could be holding ATs.

This was exactly what was going through my mind at the time.

The thing is I was worried about CO having the str8 since his line was so strong and I haven't really seen him get out of line on the river without the goods.

So I figured if I just call I will gain 4BB from the big blind calling if my hand is good, while I would lose only 2BB to CO if he had the straight. If I 3bet, BB would only call with a hand that beats me so I would gain 0 bets from him while lose 3BB and if my hand was good I would gain a bet from CO for a total of 4BB while I would lose 3BB if my hand was no good. Add to that the possibility of being capped I'm curious if you guys still see 3betting the river to be the best line.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The possibility that one of the two has T9o and wanted to see a safe river card before putting more bets in since there are draws out there and the board could also pair and that I could be holding ATs.

This was exactly what was going through my mind at the time.

The thing is I was worried about CO having the str8 since his line was so strong and I haven't really seen him get out of line on the river without the goods.

So I figured if I just call I will gain 4BB from the big blind calling if my hand is good, while I would lose only 2BB to CO if he had the straight. If I 3bet, BB would only call with a hand that beats me so I would gain 0 bets from him while lose 3BB and if my hand was good I would gain a bet from CO for a total of 4BB while I would lose 3BB if my hand was no good. Add to that the possibility of being capped I'm curious if you guys still see 3betting the river to be the best line.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont know why I didnt notice this before, your reasoning for just calling the river is very sound. Since you will likely win 4BB's either way, but calling allows you to possibly minimize your risk of being capped, since you dont have the nuts just calling here is the clear better play. I made a mental slip up last night when I said to 3 bet, I'm glad you showed me the light on this one.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Excellent point. I was leaning toward 3 bet but now I'm leaning toward call.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Results

Well the results were really something you wouldn't expect.

I just called and lost to CO who showed KK for a set of kings.