Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: 200/400 bellagio AQo

You raised a limper. Your raise will not look like a steal to anyone albeit the limper is quite apparently a loose player. sb then makes it 3 bets. He is not restealing or thinking that you are raising lightly.

Yet, you 4 bet with Aq. I think that 4 betting with TT and AK here is a gimme. Not so sure about 4 betting with AQ. In this spot, there is a world of difference between Ak and Aq.

I suppose it's a good play if the other guy will drop AK on the turn if he is still pairless. But those kind of guys are few and far between once the pot gets so bloated preflop.

No one in this thread is even questioning the AQ 4 bet preflop. I am not saying that it's a bad play - but rarther that it is an iffy play.

If someone believes that 4 betting is clearly superior, please outline your reasons.

Why the heck would you want to raise. On the turn, raise if fish call. Just call if fish bolds to sb's bet. Then, on the river, you might want to put in a raise because by then, the dude will be too hesitant to 3 bet with AK and in too deep to fold his KK or whatever

Of course, (a) he may not bet his KK on the end and therefore you don't get a chance to raise or (b) be a player who will not bet the river unless he has an ace in which case you should obviously just call.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:12 PM

I disagree that SB's hand is most likely a monster.

imo, a short pause in SB's situation feels more like a A9s - AJ, 55 - 99. So betting that flop into fish and BK is not out of the question. He could be betting:

1) AT, legit and likely the best hand
2) 99, fold BK's mid pair leveraging the fishy player
3) AK, AA, play fast to disguise his strength
4) KK - TT, similar to 2) but possible best hand against BK's mid pocket pair

etc,

just some thoughts.

- Kenny
Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 PM

doouble wrong. the guy limped w/kk earlier so he likes to mix up his play preflop. MANY players dont 3 bet out of the blinds w/AK so he may have had to think about it. that said, i see a CR w/ ak from this guy. i bet he has KK again. he will fire twice so raise him on the turn unless the middle dude wakes up.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i bet he has KK again.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know he limped with it before, but at this point how could he not cap it PF with KK?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:21 PM

that kinda got out of control rather quickly
Old 12-06-2005, 07:02 PM

different player than the guy who limped KK. Sorry if that was confusing.

And surfdoc. Knock that [censored] off.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:52 PM

not the same guy w/ kk anyway. in that case i put him on a big hand and he wants you to raise him...DONT DO IT! calling down is fun! maybe you can split up the middle guy's money.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:52 PM

I really think raising the river here is reasonable as long as the river isn't a K or J.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:49 AM

I'm with SKP here post flop, but disagree on the pre-flop part. If our OOP slowplaying tricky villain knows that BK is capable of re-raising to isolate, then I can definitely see a wider range of hands he could hold off hoping to isolate BK with. This is not to say he would do so with a crap range of hands, but definitely something legitimate like some pocket pair, Ax, or even Kx could be in his holdings.

Thus I like BK's cap for value.

If I am able to get it HU on the turn with our villain, I probably will also smooth call and raise the river.

Lawrence
Old 12-08-2005, 03:53 PM

Agreed about the AK - also BK capped preflop, which if he thinks BK is tight scared screams made hand. Maybe this guy thinks BK is scared/tight enough to quickly fold that pair on this ragged A-high board to a preflop raiser.

Wait till the turn to raise