Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 08:46 PM

Default JhTh button

online 50 game

UTG is loose aggressive. 30/20 filtered 7-10 handed. CO fairly loose passive, 45/15 type.

UTG raises, folded to CO who calls, I coldcall J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button, SB folds, BB (loose passive) calls.

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG bets, CO calls, I call, BB folds.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG bets, CO calls, I raise

How am i doing so far? anyone like the coldcall?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: JhTh button

PREFLOP: I think it is close between coldcalling and folding, given your description of the raiser and the fact that a poor player has joined the pot, I think your call is ok.

FLOP: We both know that the raiser is going to bet this flop every time whether he has a hand or not so you could easily have the best hand, so the question is should you raise or call? With 2 people committed on this draw heavy board and only one person behind you I think the best play is to call and see what the turn brings and reevaluate. So I like your flop play.

TURN: When the raiser bets and the CO calls, I think its obvious that you have the CO beat, and theres still a decent chance you have the raiser beat also, so once again you cant fold. I like raising instead of calling since there is a small chance that you may be able to get the best hand to fold, hands like AT,QT,JJ,QQ,or even AA may make a bad fold. Also if you are 3 bet you have a really easy fold IMO. So once again I like your turn play.
RIVER: If anyone calls your turn raise I would check the river unless a Ten hits.

IMO you played this hand well.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:01 PM

Fold preflop, turn is a standard free showdown raise IMO.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop, turn is a standard free showdown raise IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a serious question. Whats your VPIP in full games online?

lf
Old 11-29-2005, 01:38 AM

Great reply. I agree 100% About 30% of the time I'd fold preflop. I tend see more a few more flops than the average bear however.

Brian R.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:41 AM

For the most part 18ish. 20 in some game, 16 in others.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:02 AM

I like what Tommy once said (i think it was him, pardon if i butcher the quote) "It's not that I think it's a bad hand, I'd just rather be raising than calling"
Personally I can't see a threebet here, so I can see where the fold idea comes from.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 AM

I really dont think it matters in the long run whether the hero folds or calls in this specific situation.

An agrument for calling would be that 2 bad players have already entered the pot, which means the implied odds for the hero's hand have just gone up significantly since if the hero makes a hand he will likely get paid off better than normal. Plus the opening raiser is a lag which means he is unlikely to have an overpair to the heros JT. And the hero is also less likely to be dominated as well.

An argument for folding would probably go like this: Although the raiser is loose, all you have is jack high, and coldcalling with JTs in a likely shorthanded pot is usually a bad investment. JTs is still just a drawing hand and your paying 2sbs to enter this shorthanded pot without the aggressive initiative. The preflop raiser is going to bet every flop whether he hits or misses, and JTs is going to miss most flops so you are going to have to fold somewhere most of the time postflop since you wont be able to keep him honest with Jack high.

I really think that the EV of folding or coldcalling in this situation is close enough that it really doesnt matter what route the hero takes.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 AM

Thanks. I hear of a lot of people with VPIP's in the low to mid 20's, and have a hard time figuring out how to play that many hands without making some huge preflop mistakes.

I could certainly see this JTs hand as an opportunity to mix it up a little bit. I roam around 18 most of the time, and if the raiser were loose and the caller(s) were bad, I certainly cold call if not 3 bet here.

thanks,

lf