Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 AM

Default A few semi - trickey hands from party\'s 30 game tonight....

Some interesting hands tonight on party 30.

What are you thoughts…

HAND 1

- UTG ( 16/2/7 ) for 55 hands raises

- UTG + 1 ( 12/7/2 ) for 38 hands 3 bets

- Hero has JJ UTG + 2 and mucks

Flop come rag rag rag
UTG checks UTG +1 bets UTG calls
Turn pairs the board and betting is repeated
River makes the board with two pair something like 6 9 2 6 9
Both players check, UTG has KQs and UTG+1 has AQ and takes down the pot.

I realize that 38 and 55 previous hands is nothing but even if I had 0 info about these players I would have mucked as well. I thought about cold calling but over 55% of the time an overcard flops and only 1/8 I hit my set, not worth 3 bets right?

HAND 2

UTG + 3 he is 40/21/1.5 for 42 hands raises

I 3 bet on the button with A10 of clubs he calls.

The flop comes Qx 7s 9s
He checks I het
Turn brings a 9
He c/r’s me and muck. Played OK or check or call turn??

HAND 3

3 handed, button raises. SB calls and I call in BB with Kh 5h. Flop comes Kc Qc 9x.

I bet out hoping the button raises and Button folds SB calls.

Turn card is the 9 of clubs. He checks I bet he calls. River is a low club making a 4 flush on the board. He bets I sit and think for a bit (I have recently picked off a lot of bluffs here but this player has unlikely seen it) and muck. He shows me Ac 10s. Did I play the hand ok or should I payoff the river in most cases?

Thanks a lot.

Brian R.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: A few semi - trickey hands from party\'s 30 game tonight....

I read your hand posts, and I tried to think of something useful I could add to your play/analysis of each hand, but I cant. It seems to me that you played all 3 hands very well.
Anyways, I'll give it my best.

Hand 1: Good fold given your reads, and I too would fold with no reads.

Hand 2: An argument could be made for checking the turn and calling a river bet so you can show down your ace high against this laggish player, but like you did, I wouldve bet this turn and hoped he would fold his 6 outer the times I was still ahead. Plus in case he did have AJ or AK, a turn bet may lead him to make a bad fold(i know this is optimistic). Once youre checkraised I would also fold.

Hand 3: Its hard to fold a hand with some value on the river in the party games given the high bluffing frequency that is rampant in those games. You do have 2 pair with a queen kicker, and your opponent could very well be betting any sort of hand using the logic "im gonna call anyways, might as well bet the scare card" Given the way the villain played the hand, its impossible to put a hand on him. A call or fold on this river is read dependent, with no reads in the party game I would be inclined to call, but I think it is close enough between calling and folding this river that you could flip a coin and use that to decide what to do.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: A few semi - trickey hands from party\'s 30 game tonight....

This post has been moved to 2+2's mid-stakes attic where no one will see it because it's standard.
Just kidding...Anyways I like all three hands
the turn cr with A10s - 1.5 agg with those stats I figure betting the turn is right as you'll often get a fold from some prayer flop call