Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 AM

Default 30/60 SB - is this too weak?

after a very good run at 30/60 for the past few weeks, I've hit a really bad slump and am trying to find the flaws in my game. I find this situation really hard to play.

In the first hand, the button was a more solid player and probably folded too easily postflop. The second hand involved a more aggressive, tricky player and I felt he would raise me here with a large variety of hands given that the Kxx flop probably didn't connect with my hand. Is this the standard line? or should I be peeling a turn and/or calling down (or check raising the turn?) some percentage of the time? Basically, I feel that I have only one line for my hand and it feels like I'm just giving my money away..

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 06-30-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: 30/60 SB - is this too weak?

I think you played it fine in both cases. You can't win every hand.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:52 AM

Hand 2 I would cap pre-flop and go from there.

Nigel
Old 06-30-2005, 10:06 AM

Constant peels after getting raised on the flop add up to be a costly leak. Make a decision right there. If you still like your hand, 3-bet (this should be the case a decent portion of the time). Otherwise, fold.

Before you (or anyone else), says it:

This is NOT weak and will not encourage people to take shots at you! Not if you're also 3-betting these king-high flops a decent % of the time.

Calling a raise every time only to check/fold the turn... Now THAT'S weak! And THAT will encourage shots from the better players.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:37 AM

What do you estimate should be the correct 3-betting percentage in hands 1 and 2?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:09 AM

That's a great question. I'm not one of these math people who can put solid numbers on these things. I wish I were.

I'd tend to 3-bet the first who I felt folded too often after the flop. I'd think my hand may be good, but even when it's not, he's gonna fold a good portion of the time.

Then again, I'm also inclined to 3-bet the other guy, just because AT has a much better chance of being good against him. So does this come to 50%? It sound about right and seems about how often I'd 3-bet.