Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Re: I cold call three bets on the flop with Ace High...

[ QUOTE ]
A9s is nice against a large field because of its flush potential, but most of the time (if you make anything at all) you'll just make a single weak pair. Also, the likelihood of being against a bigger Ace is high here. Better to fold and wait for a more profitable hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Bodhi,
The field is pretty large here. There were three limpers we can expect to call the raise with, and lets say it's 50-50 button may come in for one more with five opponents if we call. So we have four opponents for sure and maybe five. I don't mind paying an extra half bet here for the nut flush chances, and Top Pair Ace with a Nine kicker will play a fair amount of the time. Here's a second opinion on that from a thread about A9 sOOted.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind paying an extra half bet here for the nut flush chances, and Top Pair Ace with a Nine kicker will play a fair amount of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your A will be dominated a good percentage of the time against a preflop raiser, so I wouldn't bank on the showdown power of your nine kicker if you spike an ace.

If an A or a 9 does fall on the flop, I'd go for a check-raise, hope to get heads up with the button, and go into WA/WB mode.

Other than that I'm playing solely for flush potential.

(By the way, Hero is calling out of the SB, so he's paying an extra bet and a half to see the flop, not just half a bet.)
Old 07-05-2005, 10:39 AM

I would also fold preflop. On another note I had the same thing happen to me at 1/2 6 max. Its raised before me, I three bet with AA and the genuis at the table cold calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and flops the nut flush draw. Makes it on the turn. And I fold. The whole time I was thinking, (because I had played with this genius on other tables) who cold calls three bets with A 9 s. Might as well pray when do, I don't think many people at these limits three bet with junk all that often.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:44 AM

hey-

for those advocating a preflop fold...

do you also fold ATs? what about AJs?

I call this here pf, but I am revevaluating my Ace-suited calls from the SB.

Three limpers? you all fold?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:04 PM

With four players in the pot, I don't think a preflop call is bad. You're going to get multi-way action, you've got an aggressive player in the mix, and player whose range of hands is very limited and is probably tighter than he should be.

Don't fold on the flop. You can cold call three or cap it... I don't think it matters much. I like cold-capping because you don't get to do it often and it tends to freeze up the jokers at the table.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:08 PM

it's funny: once upon a time there was a poster named Entity who created a post claiming preflop to be gay....and yet the majority of this thread is dedicated to preflop play. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

i'm more than comfortable playing A9s suited from SB with so many limpers because i know if i flop an Ace, it doesn't mean i have the best hand.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:13 PM

and another thing i forgot to mention...

we also have great relative position on the pf raiser should we want to check-raise...
Old 07-05-2005, 12:15 PM

I'd call that. I don't think capping is that bad because it might kill the action on the turn if you miss the turn.