Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 08:56 AM

Default when not to make a continuation bet on the flop? 100NL 6max

so as i try to raise more hands from the button in 6max, i will find myself alot of times headsup or 3 way looking at the flop as you would expect. almost everytime it gets checked around to me i make a 3/4 size to full pot continuation bet.

heres a good example, but should the texture of this flop be telling me to shut it down early and go into check/fold right away?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

UTG ($101.85)
MP ($105.2)
CO ($105.4)
Hero ($97)
SB ($269.61)
BB ($149.38)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $3.

Flop: ($9.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, CO calls $7.

Turn: ($23.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: ($23.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $43.50

can someone just refresh me on what kind of textured flops i should be scared of when making my continuation bets, after getting one to four limp(or blinds)-callers to my 4xbb pf raise?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: when not to make a continuation bet on the flop? 100NL 6max

I think whether or not to make a continuation bet is more dependent on my opponents and how I think they perceive me than the flop texture. If I've raised preflop and then bet the flop 10 times in a row, I'm much less likely to bet when I miss on the 11th time (regardless of whether or not I had anything on the 10 previous times).

Also, the more people calling the preflop raise, the less likely I am to make a continuation bet when I miss. If 3 or more people call my raise and I flop no pair and no draw, I'm betting almost never. If its heads up and I haven't been too much of a maniac, I'm betting about 85-90% of the time.

Position is another relevant factor. If I raise AK UTG and get 2 callers, I'm less likely to bet a missed flop than if I raise it on the button, 2 limpers call, and its checked to me on the flop.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: when not to make a continuation bet on the flop? 100NL 6max

i definitely agree with what your saying, and i live by it as well, but i just remember people on here talking about flops with a texture where you shouldnt stab all the time, like two broadways or something?