Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the maximum stack size you would push here?
1500 2 16.67%
1350 1 8.33%
1200 0 0%
1050 2 16.67%
900 1 8.33%
750 3 25.00%
600 1 8.33%
450 1 8.33%
300 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2005, 04:47 PM

Default tell me where to start

i play limit exclusively. its fun. lots of swings. i get to value bet A high. you know, the good stuff. but a friend of mine who plays very high stakes NL told me that im better off playing NL (i.e. he was making more last year at 10/20 NL than I am making at 20/40-30/60 now)

so i started playing NL yesterday, mostly party 5/10 and 3/6. do you think i jumped in too deep? what limits etc should i start at? (PS i have very little experience with NL):
Old 11-03-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: tell me where to start

I don't have much of an answer. I like to get stacked at the 2k party games when I can't find any good LHE games though.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have much of an answer. I like to get stacked at the 2k party games when I can't find any good LHE games though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i saw you at my favorite high stakes LHE game yesterday and I was very sad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. it's like watching my table EV go down the drain.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:59 PM

hey baron -

whenever I'm bored of limit I crack open a couple 2/4 tables and I feel like one of the better players at the table. I've probably played > 200 hours of live no limit cash games however.

I'm planning on making a similar move in a couple of months, you're probably going to get a PM from me with questions around then.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:02 PM

Given how much sucess ou have had with limit recently, i would stick that out for a little while longer as it will take some time for your NL EV to approach your limit EV. Just a thought.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given how much sucess ou have had with limit recently, i would stick that out for a little while longer as it will take some time for your NL EV to approach your limit EV. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

trying to make sense of this statement...so you think i should wait until i stop winning at LHE? or should i play NLHE on the side until i start making as much as LHE?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:48 AM

i think you should play LHE for 6 more months before making this kind of switch. For someone your (our) age, the money you can expect to earn in that short time period could have a significant affect on the rest of your life. During that time, hone your NL game so that if you do make a permanent switch, you will be giving up less EV intially and have an inflated role. Having dabbled a bit in in the 2k games, i can tell you that losing 5 buyins in a day is not more fun than losing a similar amount in limit, especially when your edge is smaller. Inflate your role and put some money away first. (Just what i would do in your position)
Old 11-04-2005, 04:35 AM

Go play NL. I won't miss you at my tables. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 04:44 AM

you should definitely do it. Even if you give up some profitability. The reason is that you'll get bored of limit and playing a different game (even if it means getting your teeth kicked in for a bit) will keep you fresh and on your toes. If you get too bored with the game and not excited to play you'll venture into stupid things to pass the boredom like sports betting and blackjack.

If you like action try and take up PLO.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:16 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you make me laugh. you are so eager to take on everything you can as fast as you can. I wish I was more like that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

that said, you are improving rapidly in LHE, but from watching your videos, you still have some room for improvement, so I think you're better off staying with LHE and becoming really good. it seems like james and barron picked up NL really fast which is probably due to their deep understanding of LHE. plus, I think you'll damage your sick learning curve by changing tracks. you are learning so much so fast. I wouldn't mess with it