Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 07:41 PM

Default 87s NLHE hand

Here's a hand from last week that I'm still wondering about.

Blinds are 100/200 and I open-limp in EP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. By way of explanation I'd normally muck here, but I like to limp with suited connectors occasionally as cover for limp-reraising with AA or KK. Also my stack was 4477 so it was cheap. But I'm mainly interested in feedback on my flop play. Anyway, the cutoff and SB call, so four of us take the flop with no raise. Pot is 800.

FLOP: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets 800, which leaves him with 5870. BB folds. I call. Cutoff folds. Pot is 2400.

TURN: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB moves all in. I now have top pair (such as it is) to go along with my flush draw and gutshot. But of course I fold, leaving me with 3477. The question is, was I correct to call on the flop.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Re: 87s NLHE hand

With such a strong draw i think you should have raised the flop.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:47 PM

Did you consider pushing on the flop?
Old 01-06-2004, 01:29 AM

You're getting 2:1 from the pot on the call and you need 2.8:1 to breakeven taking one card (assuming that my math is correct and that you always win when you hit, which may not be the case - see final paragraph). If you're confident you can get another 800+ out of your opponent when you do hit, a call probably makes sense. I think folding is out when you consider the implied odds you're getting.

I wouldn't raise allin since even a very tight opponent could have numerous hands that would warrant a call (two pair, top pair/straight draw, A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 76, 65, a set, even a made straight) given the cheap call from the SB. You'll definitely be behind if called, and risking it all for a maximum of 12 outs if you're called doesn't seem right when you're in such good shape chipwise. With a very short stack, an allin semibluff would be the best play IMHO.

Of course, it's possible that your opponent has a bigger flush draw but it's also possible that he's semibluffing with non- [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] overcards. Some adjustment to the 2.8:1 is probably necessary but it probably isn't too far off (and I hope to be corrected if I am off significantly in my estimates). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]