Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Small Blind XXs

Is playing 2 random cards suited in the small blind actually profitable? The books I read said that they are worth the extra 1/2 bet, but after 1 year of playing I cannot feel that this is a good play on internet hold'em.

I normally play 1/2 and 2/4 limit.

Do you need a certain amount of players for the limping in to be worth it?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Small Blind XXs

If there are three limpers or more you should probably be playing pretty much any two random cards.

If there are two limpers, I think you should play most suited hands though I think tossing 92s or something like that is probably not going to effect your bottom line in any way.

I think it is fine to play pretty selectively from the small blind if there is only one limper and the pot looks to be three-handed. (You might, say, play any two 9+, all suited As and Ks, Q7+, all suited connectors and 1 gappers, and all As or something like that).

It's important to be conscientious about what hands you are playing from the blinds but it's also good to realize that many of these hands are going to be pretty close to neutral EV and exactly what mix of hands you play is not all that crucial if you play them all well post-flop.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:56 PM

I play any 2 suited after 2 limpers, you're implied odds make up for the fact you're dumping this hand on most flops. You'll really need to be comfortable flopping weak hands and draws though. I'm also calling with offsuited connectors after 2-3 limpers.

Unlike W, I don't call with any 2 cards after 3 limpers. If you're not comfortable playing weak hands, you're not going to be giving up much folding unconected offsuited hands here.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play any 2 suited after 2 limpers, you're implied odds make up for the fact you're dumping this hand on most flops. You'll really need to be comfortable flopping weak hands and draws though. I'm also calling with offsuited connectors after 2-3 limpers.

Unlike W, I don't call with any 2 cards after 3 limpers. If you're not comfortable playing weak hands, you're not going to be giving up much folding unconected offsuited hands here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should correct myself. In a 1/2 blind structure, I'll limit my play to pretty much anything suited or better in a five-way pot, but if it'll be 6 way or better I'll often pitch it in with anything that might have a prayer.

In a 2/3 blind structure I play pretty much anything and in a 1/3 structure I'll be quite selective.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:21 PM

I asked the question a while back and the answer was to complete with any two cards in a 2/3 structure.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked the question a while back and the answer was to complete with any two cards in a 2/3 structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Sklansky definitely says as much in HPFAP. He also advocates play quite liberally in the small blind, though has a pithy comment about how hands like J2o should probably never be played.