Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 05:44 PM

Default And bluffing at micros No 2

Promise this is the last one:

I like to experiment a bit with river bluff check-raises. I post the results of the experiment so you don't have to do it.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

MP is solid rather TAG stats.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

NO COMMENTS

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds.

I don't have a flush, straight, top pair, 2 pair. So I raise.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 07-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: And bluffing at micros No 2

against a TAG esspesically the ones I've noticed who like to make "big laydowns" on scary boards or to check raises I will try this every now and again.

I hear Mike Sexton saying "the only way he can win this is to bet"
While not IMHO a good idea in micro's you did "earn" that pot
Old 07-24-2005, 06:19 PM

This hand I likes.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand I likes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate N?

flop: That re-raise by MP1 on the flop worries me. Puts a pall on this whole hand for me. I am frankly lost here. I tend to be a little agro so I might re-raise to protect my mid pair.

MP1 has two pair, KK or AK most of the time. Sometimes they have 2 cards with some vaguely imagined draw that they have "a good feeling" about. Anyway, I think we are behind here a lot.

turn: If we are behind should we call with 6 outs? (6.7:1 with the pot laying 4:1) Am I missing something? Seems like a loose call here. I know we have a mid pair but is calling down on mid pair with an overcard already out a good plan?

river: Perfect, giving the play so far. In fact the turn makes sense of you are counting [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s as some outs for the bluff.

If you are going to bluff, this is the place to do it.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:57 PM

Well, you didn't like mine, so I'm not gonna like yours! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, this is a decent spot. But I'd want to have a look at this guys WtSD stat, if stats is all you have.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:58 PM

MP has AK or KK almost none of the time here, especially w/ TAG stats. There was no preflop raise.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

turn: If we are behind should we call with 6 outs? (6.7:1 with the pot laying 4:1) Am I missing something? Seems like a loose call here. I know we have a mid pair but is calling down on mid pair with an overcard already out a good plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. I'm generally generous with my outs when HU as you usually have at least 10% "bluffing equity". But this was a loooose call given the flop action. I'm just trying to find a good equilibrium point (sorry for my bad English) between calling down like a fish and folding too much in these situations.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:12 PM

If MP has top pair (no straight, no flush), I think the right play for him would be check and call on the river. Because he would really want to go to the showdown and don't want to pay an extra bet to his opponent's made hand given the coordinated board, plus the check will sometimes induce a bluff.

If he just has 2nd pair or weaker hands, he would be very eager to lead out on the river and try to scare his opponent.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:15 PM

Very good question. WSD 27 and W$SD 100 (!). OK that was only 35ish hands but it seems hedidn't want to risk damaging his perfect W$SD. Too bad for him

And about your post. I had stopped this experiment before reading your post as I was convinced that it was a bad idea. That's why I was negative (more like envious [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]). But there is certainly a small category of players in the micros that can do this play. I'll keep experimenting until I know their profile better. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2005, 07:17 PM

I don't like the turn call

and it seems like a decent spot to try, but he's still getting 9/1 on calling the raise .. not sure how often this works and it needs to pretty often since you are putting in 2bets as a bluff, he must have had an medium suited A, figured he was chopping at best