Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Getting an Engineering Degree

I seek to tap the wisdom of OOT!

Lately I've been doing a lot of patent work and have developed enough of an interest in engineering to consider trying to formally study mechanical engineering with an eye toward getting a degree. My undergraduate degree was in Economics. Issues:

(1) I'm going to have to relearn math. It's been well over 10 years since I took a math course or did much of anything complicated. I might even have to start back before Calculus.

(2) I would likely have to do this online or on some kind of flexible schedule. On the plus side, I don't particularly care about how long this might take.

I know that some of you are engineers. In your view, can a reasonably smart, motivated, but time-crunched 30-something pull this off? Anyone know of any good programs or resources to get me started?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Getting an Engineering Degree

I've never heard of any sort of respectable engineering program that has a part-time degree program.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:13 PM

"time-crunched" "relearn math" and engineering don't mix

Is the degree necessary for a job? Or are you just interested in studying mech eng?

If you just want to study it, pick up some textbooks. You can follow courses via their websites at some schools.

For example, visit a course website from UCLA or whatever school and do the homeworks. Often they will post the solutions after the homeworks are due.

Hell I went to a better engineering school than UCLA, rarely set foot in a classroom, and this is how i got my degree.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:14 PM

Well as an ultra lazy late teen, I blew threw my undergrad in MechE at Georgia Tech in 5 semesters. Didn't do crap. Graduated with highest honors. So can a bright, motivated, 30 something do it? Heck yeah! The remedial stuff you can probably do by yourself or in a fast paced refresher course. It will likely come back pretty quickly and seem a lot easier when you do get the hang of it. You'll probably burn through the first year calculus, physics, chemistry, statics type stuff with no problem. The meat of the coursework will probably drag on for a long time, but since you've got time, I suppose that's not a problem either.

I can't be of much help as far as directing you towards flexible part time or online programs though.

So how could someone like myself get into patent work?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 PM

(1) I'm going to have to relearn math. It's been well over 10 years since I took a math course or did much of anything complicated. I might even have to start back before Calculus.

This was the biggest problem for the people I know who have attempted this.

One guy wanted to re-take his math courses, but was not allowed to do so since he already had credit for them. He ended up taking them at a local community college. It was a bureaucratic nightmare with the university, since they didn't allow part-time freshman engineering students, but he was able to pull it off because he already had a degree.

The other guy assumed that all the calc would come back to him once he started working with it. This turned out not to be the case. He would need several hours of tutoring a day. His friends with math backgrounds would tremble when they heard the phone ring at 2AM. It took him a semester to get back up to speed.

Going back to get a second degree is tough. Engineering is tough: an engineering degree requires a different game strategy than an Econ degree, with the possible exception of some of the rigorous micro BS's. If you want to start it part-time, you might consider taking the engineering-level calc classes, and seeing how it goes. (An engineering degree requires a different calc sequence than many econ degrees.)

JMO
Old 04-06-2005, 03:08 PM

I imagine that you are wanting an engineering degree so you can get your PTO number (I have to take that damn test sometime this summer).

What patent work are you doing without a degree? Lit, maybe?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:10 PM

Go to Johns Hopkins and get a sex change. Women with engineering degrees = very +EV.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:49 PM

Thanks for all the great replys.

Diddle: No, this is not necessary for a job. It's just something I'm interested in.

CheckFold: Two options to get into patent work (1) go to law school; or (2) get your Phd, go work in a law firm, and have them put you through law school.

Gvibes: Bingo. I'm a litigator. I actually have only a marginal interest in getting a PTO number because I'm a little long in the tooth to start prosecuting applications (IOW, if I could do it I would but I don't need to). My interest has really been more sparked by the conversations I've had with engineers in the course of my work.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Women with engineering degrees = very +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Improper use of EV.

But your right.

EDIT:
I'm not changing your to you're. Im referring to his right.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Women with engineering degrees = very +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Improper use of EV.

But your right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Improper use of your

But you're right