Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Watkinson\'s full house over Awada\'s full hand review.

So, Watkinson opens w/ 99

awada call w/ 22

Doyle is priced in w/ QT suited

789 (hhh flop)

Doyle checks, Watkinson checks, awada checks behind.

---Now seeing hte result of the hand here, Watkinson's check worked out real well but does anybody else see checking here as a mistake?

On a rainbow non straightening board checking wouldn't be too bad, but this board is 3 connecting cards and ALL hearts, it's relatively threatening to a hand for sure.

I think that having a big stack made it possible to check this hand and peel a card off since losing a big pot here wouldn't even cripple lee.

Doyle was open ended (no flush of course), but how could lee know that someone wasn't sitting on a heart?

--Does everybody think that checking this flop is dangerous at all? The turn card relieved all pressure and the river let him stack awada but i'm still kind of unsure if i'd check on this flop.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Watkinson\'s full house over Awada\'s full hand review.

All I can think is that Lee was more interested in busting someone (or getting them to commit chips) than winning what was in the pot.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:23 PM

Awada said in his exit interview that he couldn't put him on a set, because he checked such a scary flop.

I don't hate his check, assuming he's willing to get away from his set if a scary card comes. The pot isn't that big at this point.

Also, considering he was up against 2 aggressive opponents, it's likely they would have raised with any kind of big draw.

I wouldn't have checked that flop, though.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:38 PM

He made a very risque move that turned out to make him look like a genius. Let's say you do in fact bet into this pot and have Doyle come over the top with a strong check-raise. What do you do then? You most likely are forced to fold. He got a look at the turn card which paired the board and gave him the top full house. If anything, Lee got extremely lucky that Joe catches a deuce on the river and figures to have the top hand. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2005, 08:39 PM

I dont think he would fold to a doyle checkraise because doyle s most likely hand would be something like AK with the A of hearts. If lee's goal was to keep the pots small this was not a bad way to play. he still could win a big pot if no hearts came and he could still maintain his chip lead if a heart did come.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 PM

Sexton really ripped Awada after this hand. I don't understand why. The hand gets checked around. Then you hit your hand and someone bets into you? You're damn right I'm going all in and if I bust out here, so be it.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:28 PM

I agree. After hitting his full house Awada is supposed to fold?

I know the cliche that the mark of a great player is being able to lay down a strong hand..yada yada. Suppose Awada wasn't beat, and threw that hand away, the uproar over his timidity/stupidity would be deafening here.

Frank
Old 03-10-2005, 10:33 PM

I think Sexton's point of criticism was that the only hand that would call his re-raise all-in would be a stronger hand. So he's better off just calling. But if I have that board and someone goes over the top of me, I can't see that two helping him. So if I had a straight, or maybe a 7, I'm still feeling good about my hand.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 AM

A short, and maybe even medium, stack would have to protect his hand with that flop. But he could afford to take chance. Just so happens he got the best two cards in the deck on the turn and river.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Joe\'s All-In On The River

Joe is obvo a very good player & and a helluva nice guy(I talked to him a bit after he got bad beat by Fischman at the WSOP).

But that all-in is, IMO, one of the very worst plays I've ever seen. What will Doyle & Lee call with that he can beat or fold that he can't? Was he distracted by the guy in the crowd? He essentially went broke in an unraised pot; cardinal sin.

As always tho, WTFDIK.